Fiocchi 10 ga hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Call Turner, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Call Turner

Call Turner Senior Refuge Member

So I've come upon a quantity of 10 ga fiocchi 3 1/2 in hulls both new and once fired. Can't seem to find any steel loading data for them. Any body know where to start?

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Haven't seen Fiocchi 10 ga hulls in quite a while, everybody that loaded them years ago used Federal hull data which is what Ballistic Products recommended, Reloading Specialties had a few recipes that said you could use either the Federal or Fiocchi hull with the same recipe also.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  3. Call Turner

BP is on my short list for now. I'll look at some RSI loads and see how they fit. Mike

4. 10GAGENUT

Some of the RSI recipes say to replace the factory Fiocchi primer with the Winchester 209 primer which would also involve peening the hulls. You may get away with the Fiocchi primer in some recipes like RSI 99, reduce down to 45 grains of STEEL powder and try it.

5. Call Turner

Was going to try Win primers, and I didn't know about the peening. I'll see what I come up with.

6. Call Turner

Just ran a hull thru my sizemaster and primed with a win 209 and everything felt fine.

7. Call Turner

UPDATE: I fired the RSI 99 load and it shot fine, no signs of hi pressure at 45 gr. While fiddling with the hull I noticed the plastic was loose from the brass. When I came home and inspected other hulls I found more of the same, not all but a few. I'm gonna discard all loose hulls and use this load tu get rid of these hulls.

8. 10GAGENUT

Glad you got something to work right in them, the loose plastic is an issue which could cause separation.
    Keep checking the primers for loose fit, Fiocchi makes their primers .004 larger than American primers. Usually if you put an American sized primer in a Fiocchi hull it's very loose and will pop out upon firing.

9. Call Turner

While the Fiocchi primers seem super tight, the Win's feel normal when replaced. All of the new hulls are factory primed. I cant believe how cheap those hulls are to separate like that . It doesn't seem to be from pressure, just a bad job of attaching. bad glue or something. Where do you think the fiocchi primers fall on the hotness scale, say compared to a Win 209?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  10. 10GAGENUT

Sometimes if you run the hulls through a collet/super sizer they tighten up the brass plastic contact.
    The Fiocchi 616 primers are supposed to be high on scale just under the CCI 209M or Federal 209A, in testing I have done with STEEL powder I've found that not to be the case in fact the Fiocchi primers were one of the most inconsistent primers I tested.
    Many STEEL powder loads I tested had extreme velocity spreads of over 200 fps with the Fiocchi primers.
    Here's a good article by Tom Armbrust on primer differences
    http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm