Fiocchi steel

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by eagle rider, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

You will be fine with the 4's

Billy Bob and eagle rider like this.
  2. Seaark18

Seaark18 Senior Refuge Member

Those should work fine for teal and woodies. I was thinking big ducks. Enjoy!

eagle rider likes this.
  3. eagle rider

eagle rider Refuge Member

I'm twitching to get there and try them out.

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I have had very good luck with Fiocchi #3 and #4's.

With no wind, I would consider Fiocchi #4's to be one of my favorite water fowling rounds. 40 yards with the vitals showing and the pattern on the bird is a consistent killer.

My analysis is completely observatory, but I have found those Fiocchi's to be a more consistent killer on birds at the edge of range (i.e. 40+ yards). Out to 35 yards, I doubt there is much difference between most manufactures as far as consistently killing birds with equivalent loads and chokes.

Smaller shot sizes and wind are not such a good combination though. I feel that smaller shot is more prone to displacement than is larger shot. I love hunting in the wind, and hate shooting in it.

As a side note, I do not kill many geese, and any we do kill are incidental (snows and specks)… Most geese we do shoot at are 40+ yards, and there have been very few I have shot at that did not come home with me, using Fiocchi #4’s in the past two seasons. Just keep the pattern on the front end (i.e. head/neck) and do not shoot at geese with smaller shot sizes after they have turned away from you (unless they are close).

GUNNERX2 and eagle rider like this.
  5. eagle rider

Okay, here is the verdict. It killed ducks no issue there. However we were at the tail end of the first split. The woodies were already weary and flying tree top level. I was blow plumage off the birds with the #4's when they were up high. The second day I switched to a heavier load of Fasteel #2's and had more reliable results. I am certain if the woodies had been in the trees and not above the 4's would have been effective. For the coupe of birds that were, they did the trick. Both loads were very clean and cycled perfectly in the Vinci.

ronaldo likes this.
  6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Every shell and choke combo has it's limits. Had the birds been even higher, the 2's would have had the same result.

eagle rider and Billy Bob like this.
  7. eagle rider

That is true, it was decoy choked gun. I think I'd have done better with a pass shooting choke.

8. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

New 1 1/5 Angel Shot seems to be the same as the previous version, which is just fine with me...

9. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I just received the Fioocchi shells I orderred.
    Looks to be some difference in the number of shot from shell to shell.
    Quite a few of the shells in one box I opened had heavily sunk downward crimps. On a scale those weighed 1.6 oz and the good looking crimps weighed 1.8.
    Tomorrow I will cut one of each open and weigh and count the pellets to see if it is significant and post up.
    I like the green color of the hulls.

eagle rider likes this.
  10. 4 BUCK

4 BUCK Senior Refuge Member

I noticed the same thing this year. I called Rogers and asked if anyone had told them about this and they said it is the first they have heard of it? They do seem to kill ducks just fine but this has never been a problem in the last 10 cases?

eagle rider likes this.