Fiocchi steel

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by eagle rider, Oct 16, 2017.

1. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

You're gunna see inconsistencies when we're talking $9/box of shells.
    killed a limit of GWT on tuesday morning before work. 20 yard sand flat between my decoys and my hide. 7 shots, 6 teal. fiocchi 1 1/5 oz #3's.

2. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

OK, opened up a shell that had a full looking, nice crimp and one that had an obviously sunken crimp, pour out pellet loads and weighed them The shot itself looks to be very round and polished with no slag.

Load is advertises as 1.5 ounces @1,550 fps

Good crimp load had 1.2 oounes of shot
    Sunken crimp load had 1.1 ounces of shot

About 1/2 of the shells in the box I pulled out of the case I ordered had obviously sunken crimp/light shot charges.

i just got a new Chrony I so when it stops raining I will try to get some speed measurements.
    If the powder charge is calculated for 11/5 once to make 1,550 these lighter loads may be going faster.

I will give Fiocchi a call and try and talk to a tech guy.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  3. boodog

boodog Senior Refuge Member

I experienced the same with about 15% bad crimps-could not get anybody at Fiocchi to return my emails. Back to Super X.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I'm sure if those Econo Fiocchi's were their standard line of quality shells , they would.ve looked the same as always ?
    There is a requirement in reloading a quality shell ....and that is , a full listed payload with a tight crimp that maintains it's wad pressure !
    What's in your Box of shells ? Stepping over opportunities for success to save a few bucks as a waterfowler , I don't think it's wise !

The patterning board , tells no lies !

5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Correction on my figures thanks to CA Birdman of the CA Forum.

I mixed my metrics. So 11/5 oz equals 34.02 grams

The full looking crimped shells had a shot charge of 35grams
    The sunken ones 34.

So the Fiocchi shells do have at least the advertised charges.
    I am glad because I am looking at two cases on the floor of my office.
    I will still chrony and pattern them and post up.

I do not like to see sunken crimp when I am reloading but if they have the full shot charge and the velocities are good not a problem for me.
    Because the sunken crimps show the shot in the shell these loads will not be very waterproof.
    I put all my shells in ziplock bags and then in my waterproof bind box to help keep any brand waterproof

6. Ravenanme

You forgot to mention one other thing ?
    That is , you need to leave the Blind Box at home and just carry a few quality tested reloads into the marsh ! What more do you need for success ?

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

A lack of tunnel vision?

8. Ravenanme

My vision is fine to see you are trying to intimidate me to think you are something , you might not be ?
    My understanding of reloading and shot shell performance could be a lesson for you to learn something from but being such a wise guy , that you are ,
    I'm sure the administrator of this forum has rules that are enforced for you , as well !

9. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

Now thats how you tell someone off!