First Blood With My New Ruger #1V

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by 10ga.crazy, Oct 17, 2012.

1. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

A few weeks ago I came to the conclusion my wingshooting wasn't suffering for what I have been doing so much as I am not able to hit SFA with my Maxus so I switched up for the next couple hunts, used my 101 which I havent used for about 5 seasons and sure enough I am dropping birds like I used to. Conclusion? Maxus doesnt fit. Solution? Move it....so with that in mind I headed into Prophet River Firearms in Lloydminster and started checking out Varmint rifles.

I looked at a bunch of rifles and narrowed it down to a Howa Axiom in 22-250 or a Ruger#1V in 22-250. I have always wanted a #1, dreamt about it for years so I opted for it and walked out of the store with a brand new Ruger #1V and the gun safe lighter by one Maxus.

A buddy of mine headed to Saskatoon the following weekend and picked up a scope for me at Cabelas I had on hold. I topped the rifle off with a 4-16 x 40 Bushnell with an AO lens and Illuminated reticle option. I threw the gun in the truck last week, went to the range, sighted it in and went looking for yotes. Unfortunately my Foxpro was still in storage in Ontario but there is no shortage of yotes in SK and my buddy and I were seeing lots during scouting and hunting so I just set out hitting the back roads and farm grid lanes. Sure enough I finally got my chance and put down this male yote at about 100 yards in a cut Canola field. So the new Ruger #1V has drawn first blood......I can't wait to put more use on it.:tu

As a note of interest to some of you, DO NOT use the Winchester 45 grain JHP rounds. They may be great for small varmints up to fox size but they are not very effective on larger varmints like a coyote. I hit this coyote broadside @ 100 yards max! There was a small entry wound( thumbnail size) and NO EXIT WOUND!! Since when with a 22-250 :confused: The bullets are so light that at the advertised 4000 fps velocity they disintegrate on contact. This yote was hit squarely @ 100 yards and ran 25 yards full out before piling up on itself. I hit another at 200 yards and lost it, it loped off into a willow lined pothole and that was the last I saw of it. I am sure I hit it as when I shot it disapperead from sight then reappeared and it walked off with a strange walk but it was only 10 yards from the bush and I wasnt able to chamber a secound round in time. I walked in to where it had stopped and stood after I had called it in 200 yards closer with, get this, my CROW CALL!! The grass was flattened where it had dropped and it was easy to follow the trail in the grass into the willows but was nowhere to be found.:eek: I bought some Hornady 50 Grain Superformance VMax to try out....if they dont work well I will be going back to the standard 55 Grain SP's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Nice 'yote, and nice gun! :tu

3. dukdawg999

dukdawg999 Elite Refuge Member

Nice looking yotes there.
    Thanks for posting

4. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

Well done. Congrats.

5. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

Nice! :tu

6. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

I had a #1V 22-250 for several years. I tried a lot of loads in it and it was a consistant 100yrd 1 1/2" shooter. After getting tired of packing its barrel heavy self, I swaped it for a Remington 788, An under 1" grouping at 250yrd gun. I would suggest the 52gr HPBT bullet for your gun. That is the type bullet it was designed for.

7. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Bought a Ruger #1 in 22-250 back in the 80's but not the varmit model. It has accounted for many groundhogs and crows. A very accurate rifle and out to 300 yards very deadly. I always thought that to be accurate, the stock needed to be a solid 1 piece but not so. I haven't shot the gun in several years but I always enjoyed shoot it.

8. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

since '81. The secret to getting one to shoot accurately, and consistantly is to have the fore end loose. Too tight creates pressure to the barrel at the point of contact of the fore end and the reciever, almost loose enough to rattle. It's kinda like being floated. Mine LOVES 52 gr. Speers with 36 grs. of H-380. About 3650 fps. NEVER an exit hole.

9. Quackup

Quackup Moderator Moderator

I've been shooting 60gr. hollow points out of my #1 Standard .22-250 since the late 70's. Bought some on sale just to try. Loaded them with some Win. ball powder and they shot better than any of the bullets we had been using. They'll make prarie dogs do circus tricks and drop coyotes in their tracks.

10. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

funniest thing I have read in a while on here!:tu