Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

First Centerfire Recommendation

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Take-a-Gander, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Take-a-Gander

Take-a-Gander Senior Refuge Member

I have not owned a Centerfire but have bar rowed a couple for hunts in the past.
    I am looking at purchasing my own and looking for caliber recommendations.
    I will be hunting whitetail and possibly coyote with an outside chance of elk down the road.
    I am looking at a .270 as my research indicates it is a fairly flat shooting and versitile caliber witha realitivly low recoil. I do not plan on hand loading some also want a fairly wide range of bullet choices.
    Thanks

2. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

I think 30-06 is a better choice. Certainly it is for elk and I think a 165 gr bullet works on a deer better than a 130gr. Much wider range of bullet choices.

Both 270 and 3006 are way more than necessary for coyotes and will ruin fur - or so I'm told.... You'll be wanting .223 or 22-250 before too long.

3. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

I like the .2506 for a first gun. its where i started back in the day fast flat king of the Vermonters and where true hunting rifles start off, so for a first choice its tough to beat IMO.
    The .270W cant be ignored and if you intend it more for a pure deer dedicated rifle it could be a good choice for you.
    The .2506 is a capable round and with acubonds/ partitions/ A frames and the like, will grass your elk no problem.

4. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I will agree with your choice of the .270:tu

If you are a hand loader the 30.06 is more versatile, but the "magic" of the .270 is that it seems to group most loads fairly close to each other. With any of my .270s I can pick 110 grain, 130 grain, or 150 grain bullets and they will all be within 6 inches of the bullseye.

None of my other rifles will do that. Some will shift point of impact by 18 inches.

If you do take up hand loading you will find your bullet selection for the .270 to be pretty sparse. In contrast, 30 cal will give you a HUGE selection.

Now, that all being said. If you really aren't a rifle shooter, or you think you will let your kids/wife shoot it, you may want to look at the .243.

5. Take-a-Gander

Take-a-Gander Senior Refuge Member

I was seriously considering the .243 but it looks like it it might be too light for deer?
    I have only hunted with a rifle a couple times and that was with a .308 barrowed from a friend. I shot an antelope and then we shot prarie dogs, .308 is not for shooting dogs all day my shoulder was bruised for two weeks!
    I hunt with a .50 muzzleloader and slug hunted for several years but never owned a center fire.
    I understand there is no "magic" all around rifle but wanted to get as close as possible. Most likely will hunt coyote with the rifle locally and occasional whitetail deer.

6. twopatch

twopatch New Member

7. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

7-08 is another round you might want to consider also.

8. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

A 243 is plenty for whitetail. And would be an awesome load for yotes.....Not sure if I'd use it for Elk......figure if you're paying the $$$$ for a an Elk hunt, buy a gun at that time for the hunt.

Price of shells - 243, 270, 308, 30-06 - cheapest options.

I have 25 wssm...use it for Whitetail and yotes.

That being said my gun I grab the most is a 7mm-08. The perfect whitetail caliber.

9. NeLab1

NeLab1 Moderator

both of these are great comments, I would also look at the 308 as well 7-08 can be loaded down to 100 grain and up to 175 grain bullets.

the 308 110-180 maybe a bit heavier, either one of these cartridges would make a fine all around rifle both will be short action and provide plenty of knock down for coyotes through elk.

10. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

25-06 excellent flat shooting round, great for deer and can be down loaded for coyotes. Had a buddy that I hunted with in Colorado and would guess he killed close to a dozen elk with it. Not saying it would be my first choice for elk but if you want something from coyote to elk it would be my choice.

If it was just deer and yotes I would look real hard at a 243.

I handload both calibers and you can do a lot with them.

EDIT:
    Just read that you are not going to handload but that wouldn't be a problem for either of these 2 calibers as there are a lot of factory choices for both.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015