First Centerfire Recommendation

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Take-a-Gander, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

I have killeda ton of deer and elk with .270's for the last 40 years. I would get that or a 7-08 any day...

2. jamesd1187

jamesd1187 New Member

With the potential for elk I would go .270, .308 or .30-06, provided there are no caliber restrictions and you aren't overly concerned about saving coyote hides. These are common and capable cartridges and in the case of the .30-06 is a standard against which most other cartridges are compared for on game performance. Mind you the options are nearly limitless as long you're willing to do a little planning to ensure you have ammo on hand. Two of my personal favorite all around cartridges are the 7x57 and 6.5x55 these old warhorses predate the .30-06 and have been used to kill everything. They can be a bit hard to find factory loads for though so I recommend their modern twins the 7mm-08 and .260 Remington, they just get the job done without a lot of blast and recoil.
    Factory ammo is hohum, and I encourage everyone to try handloading. Lee classic loaders are a cost effective way to start yourself, it is a touch time consuming but its a great hobby for foul weather days. I load up my ammo for the year in a couple of stormy weekends.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  3. Take-a-Gander

Take-a-Gander Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for all the great information!
    I did a lot of research and decided on the 25-06:tu
    I purchased a Savage 111 with a 3x9 Nikon scope.
    I have working on lapping the gun while watching the playoff games this after noon. I cant wait to get to the range to sight it in.
    Any advice on sight in procedure would be appreciated.
    Bob

4. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

Has the rifle been bore sighted? Hope they did it where you bought the rifle and scope.

Practice pulling the trigger by dry firing or use a snap cap. Do it a lot so you'll be used to the trigger pull.

Place the target 25 yds from your shooting point. It's easier to get on the paper at 25 yds. Zero to the center of the target. Remember, if the scope adjusts in 1/4 MOA increments, the shift will be 1/16th of an inch at 25yds and 1/4" at 100yds. If you don't know what I'm talking about, google "minute of angle".

Once you're zeroed at 25, move the target to 100yds and zero.

All the ammo mfrs have ballistics tables that show bullet drop and the good ones show wind drift. Tape that info to the side of your rifle; it WILL matter if you take long shots or hunt on windy days.

Good luck with it. :tu

5. Take-a-Gander

They bore sighted it! He sighted it and had me look down the scope as well to make sure I was happy with the laser/scope recticle position.
    The salesman was very helpful wrote down all the instruction for lapping and breaking in the rifle.
    Thanks for the advice��

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  6. Vahunter

Alright man!

Lapping and breaking in the barrel aren't nearly as important as getting the trigger pull where you want it and how you interface with it. I think you'll like a 3lb pull; others may tell you to run it a little lighter. A good trigger will make all the difference in what size groups you get. You should get sub-MOA all day with that rifle and decent ammo.

You do want to use a pwder solvent AND a copper solvent after you shoot.

7. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Vahunter has it and the savage has the acutrigger i think they call it, its a decent adjustable trigger apparently get it set right and you are set with that savage. I love the .2506 kiled a lot with that round and if for any reason i had to just have one centrefire it would be the .2506 it does most things brilliantly.

8. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

I have a buddy who has shot dozens of elk and some moose with the 243. It's a bit light but it's all bout taking the proper shot and putting the bullet where it belongs. It's more than adequate for deer! I also like the 25-06, very flat shooting, nice round. And the words on versatility for the 30-06 is spot on. Ammo is typically easy to find, and not expensive. Good Luck in whatever you decide. Whatever you get, learn to shoot it and what shoots good in it. Do that and you'll be happy with your choice no matter what caliber.

Doug

9. Take-a-Gander

What is the best way to check the trigger pull weight?
    Take it to a gun smith or can I do it on my own?
    Thanks!!

10. Vahunter

Oh, Lord!!! Fellows, we've created a rifle crank.....

A gunsmith can do it. You can buy a trigger pull gauge for not too much money from Brownell's, Midway, etc....

While you're buying that, you can get 25-06 snap caps to practice your dry firing on.

Don't get me wrong. This forum is great, but http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ has subforums for guys tweaking and building goods rifles. I mainly lurk there; you can learn a lot if you've not done much with rifles before.

All right, it's winter, you're in Minnesota. Hunting coyotes and wolves is a lot more fun than ice fishing for eelpout......:l