First Centerfire Recommendation

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Take-a-Gander, Jan 4, 2015.

1. SteveH

SteveH Senior Refuge Member

Very easy and cheap way to check trigger pull:

Hold the rifle vertically and tie some string to the trigger. At the other end of the trigger attach an empty gallon water jug. Allow the string with jug to swing freely. Slowly add water to the jug until the trigger clicks. Weigh the jug with water. You got your trigger pull weight.

2. Take-a-Gander

Take-a-Gander Senior Refuge Member

All right, it's winter, you're in Minnesota. Hunting coyotes and wolves is a lot more fun than ice fishing for eelpout......:l[/QUOTE]

Got some rounds down range today and chasing song dogs tomorrow
    I will posts some pics if we are successful

Thanks again for all the help!

3. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

I'll share a story then. No pressure on you intended.:l

I have a Model 11, chambered in .223.

It's always been accurate with about anything I've fed it. Today, I zeroed it for four=legged pests and decided to shoot some match grade ammo (Remmy 62-gr Match hollow point).

I put three bullets in my gun. Then, I put a spent shotgun shell on a clothes pin holding my target and shot it off at 100 yards ... and then shot a 1/2" group with the other two. I'll supply pics if you guys insist. :l

All that with factory stock rifle, factory ammo. You chose wisely....

4. Take-a-Gander

Take-a-Gander Senior Refuge Member

That definitely gives me something to "shoot" for :grvn

No song dogs today but we saw a ton of tracks and spots where they were digging out mice in the snow drifts. the wind was an issue but we are heading back out next week.

5. tennduckdog

tennduckdog Elite Refuge Member

You put the bullet in the right spot on a deer, you'd think you hit it with a bolt of lightning at the same time you pulled the trigger on a 243. IMO, there isn't an -06 or 308 based cartridge I'd feel under-gunned for deer with. Handloading would let you approach perfection with a number of them. Even the much touted 223AI spitting out 75g Amax's like to kill deer a ridiculous distances.