First ever turking hunt this spring...Excited...

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Jan 19, 2018.

1. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Senior Refuge Member

Remember, if the tom goes quiet don't assume he's not interested. Sit. Wait. Listen. 30 minutes isn't too long. I've killed more toms coming in silently than I have with them coming hot, horny and gobbling.

stevena198301 likes this.
  2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Many would say I call and move around way too much, but I just like to hunt turkeys fairly aggressively. However that's often not really the most likely way to kill a bird. It sounds like you have a pretty limited area to hunt, and "deer hunting" for the turkey is probably your best odds. Since you won't get to scout ahead of the hunt, really study the satellite and topo images of the ground. Pick a likely spot and be there long before first light. Make sure it's a spot where you can move through the woods should that prove necessary.

Now, settle in with your back against a tree and wait on daylight, and don't make a sound. Hopefully the birds will start gobbling on their own, but if it's gotten good daylight give an owl hoot. If nothing gobbles at that, yelp a couple of notes. If nothing happens, get to where you can watch the field you mentioned and sit down for the duration. Again, this is me thinking you have limited ground to hunt. You don't know if there are turkeys around or not. They might just be quiet that morning, and there might not be one in the county. With limited ground, the worst thing you can do is walk around and spook birds you didn't know were there. If there are some around, sooner or later they'll probably come into the field.

If one gobbles from the limb and he's close, and what close is depends on the condition of the woods, don't call. It's almost always the wrong thing to do. Wait until he hits the ground, and then call a little. If he answers, shut up for five minutes or so. Hint, five minutes will feel like an eternity. If he's been quiet, yelp again and shut up for good. Let him hunt you.

If one gobbles a long way off, but still on property you can hunt, close the distance, set up and do what I've already suggested.

3. killerv

killerv Elite Refuge Member

Patience kills more birds than anything else. If he answers you, he knows you are there...he will be there at some point to check you out. Take a book to read. Nothing like moving to another spot just to have the bird start gobbling again looking for you after you left that spot. Be patient and wait on him.

To be honest though, you'll learn from your mistakes and you will make plenty. But once you figure it out, that's when it really gets fun.

Don't get hung up on trying to kill one particular bird. I know folks who do and end up with no birds at the end of the season. If others are gobbling, go chase them. When that smart bird is ready to die, he'll be ready to die, may not be that day, or week, or month though but he'll mess up at some point and hopefully you'll be there.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Trout Bum likes this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

:clap

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Hoping to get there someday. Big changing point for me was when I accepted I was going to make mistakes, quit worrying about the mistake and work through it to kill the turkey. Or, laugh about screwing up too bad to work through and moving on to find another bird.

6. Fishun Injun

Fishun Injun Senior Refuge Member

The BEST game of hide and seek You'll EVER play!!! Killed my first one 51 years ago this spring.

stevena198301 likes this.
  7. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

Thanks a lot Guys ...wow a lot of stuff to consider.

1)I think I have good patience .I have hunted deer from a stand and stalking and bagged some but gave it up for waterfowl hunting and some days that is slow but we stick it out anyway .
    2)Head to toe camo will not be a problem
    3)Getting a seat by a wide tree should not be an issue.
    4)Not over calling is not an issue i don't know how to call yet, never even had a call in my hand .I know a guy who has done it a few times and he suggested a diaphram style to keep hand free.
    5)The hunt will be in the spring(april may and in southern maine) and i'm not waiting for a trophy as anyone would be my first and i would be happy.It has to be bearded turkey as per the law.

I figured once i scout it for a day to setup between the field but in the woods far enough to catch one going to or from the field.

8. stevena198301

Good luck! A tom coming in can make 5 minutes feel like an eternity. You will think you have been waiting hours. :l

Get a call and start practicing now, if you intend to use a diaphragm. There is a learning curve. Practice in your vehicle on the way to work. One of the hardest parts is learning tongue control, so the call doesn't vibrate and tickle your mouth, or cause you to gag. Keep that call in your mouth as often as you can. Try different sizes of calls, if you can't get a full sized one to fit comfortably in your mouth. Try trimming down a full-sized one first, of course, but if you can't trim it down enough, swap to one with a smaller frame. My go-to diaphragms are Woodhaven Mini Yellow Ghost and Woodhaven Mini wasp series.

9. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

we have a bass pro and cabela's in the town 2 hrs away and was planning on heading there soon. Do they have diaphram calls that are any good ?

10. stevena198301

Good is in the eye of the operator. I can't run a Double-D to save my life, but my FIL swears by them. There are some less expensive ones out there, if you want to mix and match and try a few out. Cost doesn't always equate to a better call. The Cabela's here, as well as the Academy, sell Woodhavens, HS Strut, Primos, and most any other name brand. None of them regularly carry mini Woodhavens, so I order online. Academy gets them sometimes, and I'll buy a 3-pack from them if I see one that has 3 calls I like. If I had to go into the woods with one each, box call, slate call, and mouth call, it'd be: Primos Box-Cutter, K&H White Liar pot call (I run the plastic body one), and a Woodhaven mini Yellow Ghost. Generally, I'd only ever use the diaphragm, but I like to purr with the slate, and the box call can get pretty loud. A lot of it comes down to personal preference though, and years of trial-and-error.

As Cooksey stated early on, if you're gonna get full-blown into turkey hunting, be willing to buy up a bunch of stuff you will rarely ever use, until you find the gear you like. And don't cheap out on comfort! Get a good turkey seat, or at minimum, a thick pad for your vest. I use a 4" thick pad, and if it's a short walk, I take my turkey chair. Sitting motionless is way easier when you are comfortable. If you're worried about any of that, you can always use a blind, and sit in a full-sized chair. I do this at my river land in one place, when I feel lazy. I can just get in there and kick back and nap on and off.