Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

First snow goose hunt...Tips?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Andrew Caldieraro, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Andrew Caldieraro

Andrew Caldieraro New Member

I'll be going on my first snow goose trip in a week. I'm looking for tips on what to bring so I'm prepared. They have they blinds and all of the decoys, e-callers, etc. I'll obviously be bringing my gun, plenty of shells, a backpack with food/handwarmers/drinks/hats with a bill/neck gaiter/sunglasses/,etc. I also have a final approach hot seat. Do I need "camping mat" for additional cushion? A pillow? I'm not sure what kind of layout blinds they are, but I have been told they are nicer ones, whatever that means. Any other tips, suggestions, or items that I need to get?

2. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Toilet paper, camera. No camping mat or pillow, cramming too much stuff in them makes it more difficult to move around.

BirdJ likes this.
  3. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Sounds like you have it covered. Go into the hunt with expectations of shooting a few birds, and if you end up really getting into them then that'll be a bonus. If you go into it thinking your going to shoot 100+ birds a day you may be extremely disappointed. Good luck and hope the hunting is great!

explorer17 likes this.
  4. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Quit while your ahead lol

hannibal likes this.
  5. snipe n

snipe n Senior Refuge Member

if it is not a guided hunt(so hunting with friends who invited you out) I would bring a rake and some way to cut, either machete, large clippers to cut stalks or grass for the layout blinds, just to be more helpful. Bring hip boots or waders just in case sheet water is deeper than mudders. Anything to be more helpful if you need to adjust decoys.

6. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Like others have said, be helpful, very helpful, and you’ll most likely get invited back. As far as what to put in the blind, I use a camping mat if it’s really really cold. Anything outside of that and it’ll feel like your getting hugged by a midget all day (unless your into that)

7. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Rain suit and waterproof boots depending on weather. Thermos, Jerky, gallon ziplocks, sharp cleaning knife and shears.

Good luck.

8. Andrew Caldieraro

Andrew Caldieraro New Member

It is a guided hunt. And I will be bringing waders. They suggested them bc the ground has been wet, and I believe more rain is expected.

Do you typically cut a camping mat to size? I don't really know how big the lay out blinds are, so I wouldn't know what size to cut them to...

9. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

If you are only going for a day or two, leave the camping pad at home. The more crap you put in a blind, the less room you have and the more uncomfortable they get. Don't know the temps or wind but if it's at all cold, wear something with a hood or an extra thick stocking cap. The wind hitting the back of your neck/head can make it cold quick.

10. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

The ability to listen and do exactly as told (and not question why) !!!!

Most dedicated snow goose hunters are like field generals, that is pretty set in their ways of putting out the decoys and,,, just as importantly,,, putting them away. What may seem "rigid and unnecessary" to you or "the wrong way of doing it" doesn't matter to you,,, it ain't your stuff!!!!

If you are doing the "run and gun" thing, guys will have systems for deploying the decoys,,, building the set and tearing it down and putting away,,, follow it to the T!!!

When dealing with the quantities of decoys and other gadgets and gizmos in a snow goose spread, little things like how decoys are stacked and sorted and organized for storage can make or break the hunt in terms being able to deploy the spread efficiently and conversely get it all put away.

We have one other rule when it comes to personal gear like guns, shells, coffee thermos and cups,, if it ain't yours, don't touch!!! Everyone is responsible for their own personal stuff. That way if they don't have it out in the blind, it's their own fault.

I don't how many times someone has said "I got Joe's shell bag" when he really has Jeff's so Joe doesn't look for his while Jeff is scrounging the truck and trailer for his bag and the birds are starting to fly with the truck still out in the field. All the while Pete and Frank have their gear mixed up thinking each has grabbed the others so that neither one notices that they left a gun behind!!!