Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

First snow goose hunt...Tips?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Andrew Caldieraro, Jan 27, 2018.

1. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

LOL. :l I am kinda OCD on how things get setup and picked up.

BirdJ likes this.
  2. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

Personally I would bring the camping mat!! In fact I never leave home without it. negooseman generally has some good tips, but for me I prefer to be comfortable when lying in a blind for 8 plus hours a day. And I have never had it get in the way of what I am doing.

musher likes this.
  3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

The hot seat and a camping mat, better take a blankey too.

4. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

If it's a guide service the blinds are probably pretty big. The guide service I worked for had predominantly hitmen so unless you're a very large individual, a camping mat would easily fit in there and you can move around.

^^This. If you need to help the guide pick up listen to him! I've picked up so many spreads I have it down to a T. There's a rhyme and reason to everything and people really have a hard time listening. My buddy and I can pick up a spread faster with the two of us then we can with 4 people if the other two guys don't listen. There were even other guides who wouldn't pick up a spread the most efficient way and wouldn't listen when picking up my spread. It's like hey dude, I'm just trying to save us both work!

The biggest tip I can give you is to wear white if you have it, or camo and keep your face hidden. Put on a face mask or face paint and keep your face under the face mesh of the blind. When I take guys out on a guided hunt I tell all of them to cover up their faces and I demonstrate how to properly hide in your layout blind. When birds are committed and they suddenly flare I look around at everyone else. 95% of the time a client has his/her head poking out of the blind and they're looking around. Don't be that guy.

Also, don't buy the guide lunch or give him shells for a tip. I won't except lunch from a client anymore because I learned, allot of time, if they buy you lunch they won't give you a tip. If you had a good time and want to tip AND give them shells or buy lunch that's fine. However, I've never met a guide who preferred lunch or some shells over a money tip. Most guides work for a larger guide service and only make a certain "guide" fee for the day. After all the hours put into a given day that breaks down to about 10-15 dollars an hour depending on the guide fee. Guides live on tips, and without them the job wouldn't be worth it. So if he does a good job and works hard, tip the guy.

possumfoot, Wareagle1 and KID CREOLE like this.
  5. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

If you have not shot from layout blind, practice mounting your gun and acquiring a target. Simulate a layout blind with couple pillows. The sporting clays course I shoot let's you bring out your layout or they have a couple in the barn. So anybody not used shooting layouts, if we have time make a trip to practice shooting realistic target presentations. If backboard, still different than most guys, so practice gun mounting this week. The other advice, is relax and make good mount and shot versus rushing. If birds are decoying good unless their is strong wind, you will have more time than you think.
    After that follow instructions and have fun.

ArmChair Biologist likes this.
  6. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

No-one asked your age or your shape, but those are big factor in hunting in layout blinds. Most of the newer/better ones do have padded but and head rests, but they might not be enough for big boys. Same if are older and have bad joints.

Forget gloves, they are a hassle and hard/unsafe to shoot from. Instead look at a hand muff you can easily fit your hands in and out off and hand warmers inside.