Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

First time boat buyer

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Hunter4lyfe702, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Hunter4lyfe702

Hunter4lyfe702 New Member

I used to live in Las Vegas, NV. I now live in Charleston, SC on orders here from the Air Force! Never needed a boat to hunt before, so I have no experience in duck hunting boats. Thought I’d get some recommendations from experienced folks. I’ve been doing some scouting out here and come to learn that not much, if any at all areas are accessible by the ol toe and ankle express; so if you have any recommendations or tips that would be awesome!
    Thanks,
    Curtis

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Hard to beat a plain old 16-18 ft aluminum johnboat for usefulness. A 9.9 up to 50 or more HP will give you lots of options and can fish, hunt and do family entertainment etc plus is easy to sell if your situation changes.

I have a 17 ft with a 40 hp outboard and have used it in tight flooded timber, rivers small to as big as we have as well as large lakes and near shore Atlantic ocean.

Hunter4lyfe702 likes this.
  3. Hunter4lyfe702

Hunter4lyfe702 New Member

Johnboats are exactly what I was just looking at. Only thing I would be concerned is how much weight can they handle? I don’t usually hunt alone, and especially being in a boat in a unfimilaier place. Do you hunt alone with you rig?

4. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

B.O.A.T. Bring On Another Thousand. Depending on what you are gonna be doing on the water is how I would decide what kind of vessel you want. For instance I don’t bass fish but I love saltwater fishing so I bought a 21 ft CC boat for fishing in the Gulf. I also enjoy duck hunting so I have a 16 ft aluminum boat to hunt out of. My family and I go to the lake all the time on my CC boat and it’s a lot of fun you can do what ever you want on one. I have friends with bass boats that wouldn’t dare to stick them in the bays. But with the CC you have the best of all worlds. Just my two cents.

5. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I can hunt three out of mine when shooting from the boat. 4 if just traveling to a spot. Had two people plus scuba and spearfishing gear for one 14 miles off Chesapeake bay. Mine is a 1754. Can't remember how much weight it is rated for? Maybe 600 or 800 lbs. I have been overloaded but it still did fine in decent water. Don't push your weight limits if you are on open water or fast current etc.

6. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

I have run a 1648 Alumacraft Jon for the last 9 seasons, pushed with a Mud Buddy 45 sport hyperdrive. Use it on the Mississippi and two smaller rivers. Runs in shallow waters easily, and is rated for five people.

Attached Files:

7. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Not sure about your budget but I would suggest looking at a boat to hunt and fish. An 18-20ft bay style from any of the jon boat makers may be your best bet. (Xpress, G3, Lowe, Seaark, etc).

There is some great back bay fishing down there.

I would also be careful underpowering a boat down there with the tides that you are going to experience.

I think a 25hp 16 foot boat is a minimum if you want to hunt three people. You can fit a dog and about 50 decoys in that rig.

Fowler267 likes this.
  8. P Frey

P Frey Senior Refuge Member

USAF 1983-1987

9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

10. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

Before you do anything call Paul at Phowler boats. He has lots of different boat builds for the Waterfowler.