First time canvas backs in diver rig

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Irish eyes, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Refuge Member

I never had canvas back decoys before. Should they be mixed in with the broadbills. Should they be on their own long line, if so where does that line go?
    Do not see many cans here in NC but do see a rare bird. Put them in more for visibility than for anything else.

2. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I'm below you in the south. I put a half dozen cans and a half-dozen scaup in seperate groups with the cans first based on the direction I expect the birds to come from. I sometimes run a bigger diver spread with a dozen cans making up the base of a triangle and the scaup making up the tip.

Using so few decoys I don't usually get attention from big groups of divers but my batting average on singles, pairs and trios of cans, scaup and redheads is pretty good.

And, oh, cans love a mallard hen call...a lot...

Ringbill likes this.
  3. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Go with what Mr. Rubber is saying. Put them on their own cords---singley.
    They will add visibility & help pull those singles & pairs.
    You'll like that added touch to your rig, too !

Ringbill

4. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

I am different from everyone. I hunt just west of you in east tn. I mainly diver hunt and run 70-90 decoys. Its a mixed bag of redheads,bluebills,canvasbacks,goldeneye, bufflehead, mallards & about 8 geese. I mix everything except the goldeneyes, & bufflehead. I put the mallards mixed with divers on the up wind side then run my hook of decoy out and around down wind. The geese I put around the boat to help block the boat. The goldeneyes and buffleheads I throw out by there self. I have no problem with any species of duck landing in my decoys. Except to bufflehead and goldeneyes. They are picky and only want to set with there own kind. Hope this makes since.

Attached Files:

5. Woody

Woody Elite Refuge Member

Love that pic DW, well done.

Woody

DWB5 likes this.
  6. Jagwall

Jagwall Senior Refuge Member

I run my cans on their own line and the singles grouped up with Each other. I typically put them up wind of the rest of the decoys since they are usually willing to fly over the decoys to get with their own kind and they are greedy and if you watch a raft they are typically first to the food. My cans are some of my closest decoys too, they are the dumbest birds ever if you can get them close. Most cans I shoot are trying to get into the can decoys. Maybe it’s dumb luck I don’t know