Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

First time mounting a turkey

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by aythyafanatic04, Mar 30, 2017.

1. aythyafanatic04

aythyafanatic04 New Member

First off, thanks a lot to Brads Birds for taking the time to give awesome advice on my previous questions. You helped a kid out greatly. I am now trying to mount a turkey for the first time and am determined to not mess it up as it was from one of the most incredible hunts with a friend that I will never forget. I am assuming the entire process is very similar to that of a duck, which I am experienced with. Besides the obvious things like having to use bigger guage wire and drill the marrow out of the bones and things like that, is there any way it differs from that of a duck that I could really mess up? Specifically, can the fan be washed along with the rest of the bird and will it come back out fine when blow dried? I also want to do it strutting and I am not quite sure how I would be able to make all the feathers stand up as opposed to just slicking down. Thanks so much in advance guys.

2. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Consider removing the fan, prep it separately, set the quills with bondo, and re-attach after putting the skin up on the form. You should also consider using a freeze dried head, they are far superior looking IMHO.

3. aythyafanatic04

Okay. I will consider doing that. Does that mean its just easier to remove the fan and reattach it once it is dry or is it important to avoid washing/drying the fan?

4. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

You'll probably want to wash the fam, especially after you de-grease the quills.
    Removal is just way easier.

5. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

Removing the fan makes the whole process easier. It is out of the way and you can set/spread the fan prior to mounting. Cut a notch in the form where you will insert the fan. Yes you can wash and dry the fan just fine.

6. aythyafanatic04

Thanks for the advice, Trophyduck. I will do the fan separately and reattach. A couple more questions: 1, how do i attach the fan to the foam form? and 2, does the strutting form vs normal make a big difference in helping the feathers align toward a strutting pose or is there some trick to getting the feathers to dry in strutting position as opposed to just slicking down?