Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

First time up north

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by WaterFoulHunter, Aug 2, 2017.

1. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Refuge Member

We're booked to hunt northwest of Saskatchewan the first week of Sept. The outfitter just asked if we would be interested in going a week later (To accommodate another group with scheduling issues.). Normally I'd say sure, but it creates some work conflicts for me to do so. My question is, can I expect the shooting to be any better the second week? I can move my work obligations around, with some difficulty, if I had to..... Thanks for the input as this is our first trip up for watefowling.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

It all depends on the weather. You should be fine tho

WaterFoulHunter likes this.
  3. WaterFoulHunter

Thanks. I originally had the option of Sept 4, 5 and 6 or a few dates in October. The October dates interfered with a fly fishing trip I've had planned for a year, so I figured the early September date would at least be shooting un-educated birds. We're really excited to be going.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Up North, you should be fine. I tend to set up further South, and we go first week of Oct. Last year, it was 2nd week. We did just fine.

5. GooseChaser1

GooseChaser1 Senior Refuge Member

You should be fine with the early dates. We hunt the third week of September and the last week of October.

Remember, pack everything to wear, you never know what the weather will be like, have had snow, rain, sunny sky's, major heat and you name it over the last 20 years hunting in Sask.

Have a great time and enjoy the experience. You will meet some great people and see some big sky country.

Dennis S.
    Rio Rancho, NM

WaterFoulHunter likes this.
  6. West Coast Hoosier

West Coast Hoosier Senior Refuge Member

It all depends how far up you are going and for what species. The early season the ducks are most likely not in the fields yet heavy, but the local geese should be in the peas. The snows move down very near the full moon, which is around September 8th this year if I remember correctly. We go early each year for honkers and specs, with local ducks that is why we go early. But if you are trying for snows also you may be early.

7. WaterFoulHunter

We're hunting northwest of Saskatoon. Not necessarily looking for snows, but just some duck and goose action. Also looking forward to hunting sandhills one day.

8. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Bring bug repellent. That is really early in the season, other than Bluewings everything will have lots of pin feathers and no colour to the birds. My advice is to focus on the teal, Canada Geese, and Sandhills. I don't even bother hunting ducks until at least the 2nd week.

9. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

We normally see snows come in that first week of September, so you may get some real juicy snow shoots with dive bombing juvies leading the way. I've had it 100F on Sept 8th, and I've brushed snow off of my truck on Sept 3rd, so for weather, prepare for everything in between.

10. WaterFoulHunter

Thanks! I'm getting real excited. We're going to shoot the dove opener (almost a religious observance at my house) and then head on up. Regardless of the bird count I know we'll have a great hunt.