Fishing 2018

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by woodiefanatic, Jan 14, 2018.

1. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

Anyone been doing good? I'm 0-3. Been a cold and miserable season so far.

2. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

Given these multiple cold streaks we've been doing decent in northwest wi. Sometimes we get limits sometimes we get half limits. Have good driveable ice now too so can be more mobile as well if we have to

3. Kevin WI

Kevin WI Moderator Moderator

I did pretty well first two times I went out this year the last time I didn't mark a fish, broke both my drill and auger...so out of commission until Milwaukee sends my drill back to me.

4. JEYESLAYER

JEYESLAYER Elite Refuge Member

Been out twice 1 keeper walleye,1 short walleye,1 small pike,1 fry sized bluegill. Set a goal of 3 times out so I figure I am ahead of the game!

5. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

Too many house projects have gotten in my way, but I did get out last wed. drilled 3 holes and on the 4th the auger popped off the drill and went to the bottom :cry

6. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

SO is the K-Drill everything it is cut out to be??

7. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

Depends what type of ice fisherman u are....it's useless too me. When u fish do u like to be mobile and chase fish? Drill holes to stay on fish? I can always pour more gas into my auger....

8. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

On a drill, it seems to be the ticket. I've been using a mora handauger with my drill for 2 years. Broke a weld at the blade once and lost one.Nils makes a sweet auger also if you'd rather have razors instead of a chipper. I've used a buddies k- drill enough to know it's a good unit..

9. phan6622

phan6622 Elite Refuge Member

i have a nils 6" and my clown buddy rounded off the stub.. so I had a friend weld on a 1/2" socket so I can now use interchangeble drill attachments.. the blades are dull.. and need to be sharpened.. after 2 years.. maybe 250 holes I figure I got out of the original blades?
    bought a k drill 8" 2 weeks ago.. so far so good. I like that the replacment blades are cheaper... 35.00 a set.. instead of the nils with is $70.00.

1 trick for the k drill is to not push down on the drill.. just let her work easy. I have a milwaukee M18 drill and i haven't had to change a battery on an outing yet.. i always bring an extra battery but havn't needed it. another tip is to put the extra side handle on your drill.. and hold it with 2 hands.. the auger likes to kick back at the end of the hole and can cause a significant amount of wrist pain if you arn't careful and ready for it...

my thought is that Im done lugging the heavy *** 9" gas auger out - which is currently experiencing carb issues... if I get a fish on that can't fit through the 8" hole.. i guess I'll have a story.. i havn't set up a tip up yet this year.. always too busy jumping after the panfish once getting on the ice.
    the question on the kdrill is how long it will last.. if that drill attachment gets rounded off - you are done drilling holes.. so make sure your drill chuck is tight.. and don't let anyone borrow it unless they are the kind of person that will replace it instantly.

to answer the question.. compared to an 8" gas aguer.. the k drill is awesome.. the weight is like 4 lbs.. no gas, no carb, no cold starts, no burnt jackets, no leaking gas, no old gas.. ect.

road kill likes this.
  10. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

image.jpg Ducker4ever and I got out this weekend. Yesterday was good with nearly two pails of bass. Slower today but the beers cold and the brats are warming up.

Ducker 4 Ever and pud123 like this.