Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Flatlands Flyways

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by BirdJ, Feb 3, 2018.

1. johnpaul

johnpaul New Member

What is the reasoning behind the draw for the out of state licenses?

2. jpallen

jpallen Elite Refuge Member

Same as any other limited draw license...to manage the quality of hunting for everyone. Everyone that applied this year got a license in SD

BirdJ likes this.
  3. johnpaul

johnpaul New Member

I find it a little selfish of SD to limit access to a migratory bird but that's just me. I think an outfitter should be able to pay a set amount every year and issue outfitter licenses to their clients. Make them pay $5,000 up front at the beginning of each year and their clients can purchase a outfitter license at a discounted rate. Louisiana does something like this for their fishing where if you are fishing with a guide you can buy a charter pass for $10/3 days but if you go on your own it is more expensive.

4. jpallen

jpallen Elite Refuge Member

Some would say it is selfish for an outfitter to pay $5000 to the state to intern make a $100k+ all the while taking opportunities from others at the same time

5. maskedmallard

maskedmallard New Member

How many ducks does LA raise a year? Catch shares and charter passes is an apple to tomato comparison. Is it "selfish" that we raise more birds per capita in certain areas of the state than any other place in North America, and then those birds migrate and get shot south of us? Is it selfish that we want everyone who hunts to have a quality hunt? Is it selfish we want to preserve a hunting tradition that doesn't require people to get their check book out just to access land? If you'd like to see how bad it would be here in the Fall if we had open doors come take a drive around the 2nd week of march to about the first week or so of April. Its pretty selfish that ND has strict guide laws (sarcasm), shouldn't every guide be entitled to pillage a natural resource like they do every Spring here?

6. johnpaul

johnpaul New Member

Seflish because they are trying to make a living doing what they love?! No one is stopping you from opening a guide service and leasing every field in the county. $5,000 was just an example. Hell make it a percentage of their gross profit every year. If they gross $100,000 then they pay 15 or 20% of that to the state for the right to sell outfitter licenses. The limited amount of licenses hurts their business so I would be pissed if I were them too. I'm sure they aren't the only guide service that feels that way, just one of the few speaking out against it.

Just imagine how bad it would suck if every state had a draw for their waterfowl permits like SD does???

7. maskedmallard

maskedmallard New Member

I don't think anyone is jealous of running a money losing guide service funded entirely by inheritance. Are people a little angry of what said guide service is trying to ruin? Yeah that'd be a fair assessment. If someone came into your house and started trying to regulate how you've always done things because these regulations would make them money but only complicate how you do things, would you just blame jealously?

8. maskedmallard

maskedmallard New Member

How can you be pissed about something you knew already was in regulation and existence when you started your business? So instead of living with the regulations that have been in place for a really long time you now try to change them because you realized your business model can't survive with the current regulations? How does that make any sense. That's like someone starting a car company and then being pissed off about all the EPA laws and then making it their mission to remove said laws because they aren't beneficial to their business or make their business harder to run. Most other guide services think Flatland is a joke.

Personally I and hundreds of other people would 100% support any state/providence that wants to take their licensing to a draw, would even email and make phone calls to help. Sounds like an excellent idea.

BirdJ likes this.
  9. johnpaul

johnpaul New Member

We will have to agree to disagree. I guess being raised in SETX I am just used to guide services having all the ground leased up. You haven't been able to knock on a door for permission here in 50 years. You either hunt private land, hunt with a guide service or utilize the WMA's and NWR's that are for EVERYONE, even out of staters.

10. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

It seems like Flatland does a distant job on getting on the spring snows in NE and SD where they go each spring. How they do that, some people will like and others will not. Has a business, they have to do what needs to be done to have a successful business. Do I agree with some of the things I've heard they've done, no but business is business. I wonder how much ground HF has leased up as well? I'd imagine hunters in their area have the dislike for them just like area residents don't like Flatland.

I know Alex has served in the military and does hunts, gift packages, etc for the military so I have to applaud him for that for whatever reason he feels that should be done.