Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Flatlands Flyways

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by BirdJ, Feb 3, 2018.

1. timber hunter

timber hunter Elite Refuge Member

Business is business, and hunting shouldn't be.

whiskyjack likes this.
  2. johnpaul

johnpaul New Member

So it's non residents that are ruining the hunting in South Dakota or just this 1 guide service? Or both?

Could it not be that every other kid at SDSU probably has a trailer loaded with decoys now that hunting is the cool thing to do?

3. jpallen

jpallen Elite Refuge Member

Commercialization of hunting in general is slowly chipping away at the block of the SD waterfowl tradition.

4. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

And North Dakota has been trying to get this done in their state also! They think were doing a great thing here and should keep it this way!!!!

5. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

jpallen, just picked up the NEW Dakota Country Hunting and Fishing Magazine. There is an article on page 50 titled SDWA Proposes Rules for Waterfowl Hunting Guides. I think this has to do more with Spring Snow Goose hunting that got this started. Guys, check this Magazine out!!!! Deals with a lot of stuff in the outdoor world in North Dakota and South Dakota!

6. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

SDSU students who take a certain minimum amount of credits are considered residents. There's a small percentage of students who choose SDSU specifically for those resident hunting opportunities. Sure there's an increase in hunting pressure due to that, but many of those kids choose to stay in or come back to SD for their careers and that's a good thing. Some of the very people commenting on this post fall under the latter.

Most non residents that hunt SD are satisfied with the current lottery system. They are aware that the chances for quality freelance hunting are available when they draw (which is typically 2 out of every 3 years.) If you follow this issue, and look back at the recent history of non resident waterfowl licenses, the proposed changes at the legislative level and the GFP commission level have been driven by commercial interests. More specifically, Business people who are losing revenue from the decline of pheasant hunting in SD are trying to find ways to replace that money, and see waterfowl as their next cash cow. Very few guide services & outfitters who do consistent waterfowl business in SD have actually tried to change any laws or rules in place.
    Other than Flatland Flyways, a lot of the pressure to change rules has come from a few other certain individuals who create groups with great sounding names like "South Dakota Opportunity Group" or "SD Migratory Bird Association". They go out and tell half truths to get tourism, sporting, & service businesses to sign petitions supporting their legislative bills or rules changes proposals, when the fact is, they want the rules changed because it benefits themselves as non resident land owners, or outfitters with large land lease agreements and lodging who weren't booking or selling day leases to pheasant hunters at the rate they were accustomed to.
    You can go back on this very forum and see where a long list of businesses and people was furnished to the GFP commission stating their supposed support for a set of rule changes, yet when many of the businesses were contacted by members of this forum, they stated they weren't aware of the effect of the changes, didn't understand the changes, or didn't actually sign anything, and would not further support those changes.
    In the end, most residents and non residents appreciate the current system and they way it helps prevent additional commercialization and maintains a level of opportunity.

BirdJ and shirtguy like this.
  7. TMFL

TMFL New Member

I listened to his testimony. How can a kid get into hitting?
    As a father I cannot afford a guide service on a consistent enough basis to get my kids hooked on hunting. I cannot afford to lease a lot of fields to secure a good hunt, nor would I. I guess I wasn't lucky enough to inherit enough money to build a big lodge, buy a pile of decoys and lease half a county.
    My dad hunted up oo until the day he died. He hunted with me and our friends who picked up his slack. He didn't need a guide, just a field to hunt.
    I've hunted near this outfit on a friends farm that the outfitter keeps trying to lease. They don't do anything special, didn't kill any more then we did and we didn't fork over thousands of dollars either.
    His testimony only exemplifies his greed! I know of an outfitter who takes kids on youth hunts for free, donated hunts and has given people their money back when they were not satisfied (unrealistic expectations) but doesn't have a giant lodge.
    I have and will share fields with others, but will not screw over my fellow and future sportsmen and women just to shoot a duck or make a buck!

GreatWhiteWanderer likes this.
  8. whiskyjack

whiskyjack Refuge Member

I listened to the testimony, it sounded to me that he wants all hunters to have to go with an outfitter who has leased every square mile of country (Preferably his outfit). No good old knock on the farmers door and shake his hand in thanks.
    I am very happy that I hunt and live in Alberta where paid access is illegal. Levels the playing field, everyone has the opportunity to hunt without having deep pockets. If the landowner says no, shake his hand and thank him for his time.
    I rather like that approach. Tends to keep the hunt in hunting. Yes, I realise we don't have the same level of competition for the available land as you guys deal with in the Dakota's, but if I were a resident of NoDak/SoDak and was constantly running up against all the land leased by outfitters, I would be a bit torqued.

4 BUCK, BirdJ and Neck Collar like this.
  9. zoops

zoops Refuge Member

I too was a little baffled by his testimony. He talks about wanting to "share" the hunting opportunities with everyone (NR) - I guess my idea of sharing is a little different than his and doesn't involve thousands of dollars. An outfitter talking about getting kids into hunting is practically comical as yeah, you might be able to take a kid out but how many of those kids are going to stay with hunting if you have to pay thousands to hunt or hunt public lands that are overcrowded due to the rest of the land being inaccessible? That said, I don't expect the leasing/outfitting to decrease anytime soon.

10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Very very few guides are in to guiding to share the experience, it's all about money.