Flightstopper Pellets vs round steel

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by goosebuster13, Oct 2, 2017.

1. goosebuster13

goosebuster13 Refuge Member

Curious to everyones thoughts on flightstopper. In my opinion it doesnt make sense that it could penetrate better than round steel or have a further effective range due to aerodynamics and more drag and friction due to the ring. Everyone agree or is there evidence to support it being better than regular steel? Im on the side of it being a marketing point of they would load the entire shell with flightstopper. The one youtube vid where a guy trys in gellatin got me thinking that because it is loaded behind the regular steel it may penetrate deeper as a result of regular steel already doing damage resulting in less friction and deeper penetration.

Billy Bob likes this.
  2. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    Ballistic gel seems to prove deeper penetration, not all the FS can follow steel. And my own experience with it seem to prove more breast meat penetration then when I used Remington Nitro;s. I know , not very scientific, but results are results.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

It does, if you consider (as has been pointed out by others, not me) that the FS pellets are heavier than the listed size on the box. Measured on the round end, same size, measured on the belted end, an average of one size bigger.

Billy Bob likes this.
  4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

I,ve been shooting black cloud( flight stopper pellets) for many years now and you can definitely tell the wound difference when bird is hit with those pellets versus the normal steel making up rest of shell.Ragged deep penetration that sometimes is what anchors the bird on longer shots. Now you don,t always get flightstopper on the bird in your pattern especially when pattern is underchoked but they do make a difference when they connect.

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

With any bird that has been killed with Flightstopper OR Plain Old round steel shot I see the belted pellets still in the birds , whereas the round ones
    seem to pass clear through.....I prefer just meat when I'm eating ! :yes:tu