Floating Duck Tube success

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by bbfky, May 14, 2019.

1. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

I tried and tried to mount on a post around one of my ponds but I have solid rock all the way around the pond and the pond is built on solid rock so very little dirt. So I improvised and decided to try putting it on a floating platform like I did m y Goose boxes and last week had a hen start using it which is super exciting. I think it is a hen pintail but not 100% sure. We rarely get pintails in Central KY which would make it even more special. Here are a couple of pics. Build it and they will come :) This is our first year really going all out on these nesting platforms, we did have one last year for the geese that didn't get used and a bluebird used our wood duck box but so far we are 3 for 3 this year so we are excited. It's a little hard to see in the one pic but it is the hen sitting on her nest
    BFP_3872-web.jpg
    BFP_3805-web.jpg

2. bbfky

Still not 100% sure what she is mallard or Pintail but she hatched 10 ducklings yesterday evening or today Hopefully they will make it they have plenty of cover around the ponds, I'm hoping the bass and turtles will leave them alone, they left the goslings alone so here is hoping for a successful brood raising

Neighbor Guy and MJ1657 like this.
  3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Head shape and bill color look dark similar to a hen pintail, however the legs look orange which would indicate mallard. Should be interesting what shakes out.

4. bbfky

well they hung out the first day but we never saw them yesterday, not sure if she was just hiding her brood or if they walked away. Closest body of water is about 1/3 of a mile away. hopefully they will return. I have plenty of cover for the ducklings, some trees overhanging the bank and wheat around both ponds, 3 ft high and lots of marsh grass so lots of cover for hiding. I'm not sure if ducks usually leave the pond they nest on, I now wood ducks do and we never saw them again but kind of figured mallards or pintails would hang around like our geese who nested. Our geese goslings are getting huge