Flocked heads on mallard drake fullbodies

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by DoveMan, Jul 18, 2018.

1. DoveMan

DoveMan Senior Refuge Member

With all of the new waterfowling catalogs out now, wondering who has flocked-heads on their mallard drake fullbodies, and do they think its necessary and in what situations.
    Flocked head geese have become the norm, but is is needed for field decoy mallards?
    If you were going to purchase new fullbody mallards would you pay more for flocked heads?

2. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Nope..personally at the sheer teal like speed mallards bomb into fields with I don’t think it matters. At least for us, they commit right away or pass over. Also the best mallard dec is a goose dec so we only toss out about dz off to the side. Probably more for my piece of mind than the ducks.

lugnut likes this.
  3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Heck no. The flocking will fade long before decent paint. Wish Dakota still shipped their flocked-head floaters with painted heads, as well as the flocked ones. Or with nothing but painted.

4. Hossdog

Hossdog Senior Refuge Member

I have been doing an experiment on flocked heads to see how long they really last. I left one flocked head Dakota out for a month during the season. No change at all. When the season ended, I put that same decoy in the pool. It was right at the beginning of February. It is now mid July. Yes, it has faded. No peeling or flaking. The body looks as good as it was in the beginning. The flocked head is clearly not the same but there is no way one could convince me that a duck wouldn't decoy to it. I will continue to let it run its coarse for the sake of gaining the knowledge on how long they really last, but to this day that decoy is still very huntable.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Flocked heads on Canada decoys make sense because they make the dark appear like the natural black and paint does not. What does a green flocked head on a mallard decoy do? IMO nothing more than a painted head but with eventual fading and the flocking coming off.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Does it HURT the decoy?

IMO, most, including me, hunt flocked dekes because we want to. I have said dozens of times, I will not swear they make a difference. But I think they look better, so maybe that makes me worry about other things, and not my decoys.

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

If you believe in realism, which I do not, wouldn't faded flocking hurt? Seriously, what does a flocked head do on a mallard decoy? Require more care, fade and fall off. It doesn't make the color pop like it does the black on goose decoys. On goose decoys I always want flocked heads so the black pops. I will agree 100% they do look better and they make a difference on geese but not duck heads.

lugnut likes this.
  8. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Would I pay for flocked head mallards? No. Do all of my mallards have flocked heads? Yes.
    I think they pop way more than paint on the water and I like the way they look. I don't know why people talk about flocking fading because I have never experienced that. I have also have not bought factory flocked decoys or left my decoys out all season, so that is probably why.

9. QuaaackerJack

QuaaackerJack Senior Refuge Member

I bought 1 doz new flocked ghg w/bag for about $200. (Good sale price, why not)
    Bought 2 doz used unflocked with bags for $200ish.
    I'll report back findings about January!
    We plan to run each side of goose spread separate (flocked vs unflocked) just to see for ourselves what the birds say.

10. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I like flocked decoys on geesE hunt way to hard and to many rough conditions to worry about clean flocked heads.Since I like the look of flocked mallards I just shaded with flat black and it gives a darker almost flocked look,with less hassle.JMHO