Flocked heads on mallard drake fullbodies

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by DoveMan, Jul 18, 2018.

1. TooTall

TooTall Elite Refuge Member

A lot of the issue is that most factory flocked mallard heads are solid green - which is not at all natural. I flock the heads and butts black on my drakes and add in green and blue iridescent highlights after. To me this looks much more natural and really grabs your eye on the water like a real greenhead.

Attached Files:

DoveMan likes this.
  2. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

TooTall

Those are some of the best I’ve seen! What was the process of the added colors after the green?

3. TooTall

Thanks, it's pretty straight forward. Flock the entire head black and then paint in the green/blue iridescent colors. I usually air brush a base of green on the cheeks. Then I'll use a brush to add bright green or blue. Takes quite a bit of paint on the flocking so it's tough to mess up.

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I'm lucky if I have paint on my decoys, flocking is way overrated.:yes:yes:yes

lugnut and Billy Bob like this.
  5. callinfowl

Flat black works, so does that mean if I flocked my decoys flat black that they would work better?

My dream spread.:yes:tu
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    lugnut likes this.
  6. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Probably. You give me 300 flocked coot decoys and I'll kill every duck in Virginia.....

lugnut likes this.
  7. callinfowl

Buy every craigslist junker decoy you can afford and a pound of black flocking and a gallon of black Rustoleum paint and get busy. If it was that easy everyone would be doing it, right? :yes:l:l:l

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

downsize15.jpg

I kill a lot of late season ducks on public hunting areas that are hunted everyday with these.

lugnut and callinfowl like this.
  9. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Back off 20 yards and every single detail is gone. Ultra realism is for us duck hunters, not the ducks. When I paint my decoys I make them look as real as I can...for me. The ducks don't give a crap. How many guys painting mallards put that stupid blue patch on the sides? 90% of real mallards don't display that, BUT, it's an eye catcher...for humans with fat wallets...and sells decoys. Duck hunters are attracted to shiny toys. Well, their wallets are anyway. :l In the overall scheme of things none of this really matters. Guys who use flocked decoys will kill ducks. Guys who use fancy painted decoys will kill ducks. Guys who use beaters will kill ducks. Put more effort into being where the ducks want to be and you'll kill more ducks regardless of the decoys. Seriously, just throw your decoys out there and have fun. If you stop feeding the decoy company cash cow you'll have more money to buy beer and steaks after you kill ducks over whatever you use. :tu:tu

lugnut and Billy Bob like this.
  10. TooTall

See, here's the whole problem with arguing about camo, decoys, guns, etc. There's no definitive way to prove their worth.

So here's how I look at it - there's only a handful of variables I can control on each hunt. One of them is how realistic my decoys are. I've got the time and the resources to make them look good, so why not do it? If you're happy with your success hunting over worn out decoys, then great. I doubt anyone here is going to tell you you're "wrong."

There's also the realism to numbers ratio. It's hard to argue against the fact that numbers can overpower realism in the right scenario. Migrator spreads for honkers, silhouette spreads on the salt lake (see above), black jugs as fillers in permanent spreads, etc. That tactic - while it could very well work in my area on some days, is not feasible due to being limited on space in the boat or cart you're using to get into the pools. I'm limited to about 150 duck floaters max.

Where I hunt ducks, there's a lot of pressure from other hunters, ducks get stale real quick, and you're rarely able to set up on the x. That being the case, you better be hid well and have a spread that looks like live ducks to convince them to land in the spread. Does decoy realism matter every day? No. Does it matter 50% of the days? Probably not. But some days it does and it damn sure doesn't hurt on the others.