Decoy Forum Sponsors

Flocked heads on mallard drake fullbodies

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by DoveMan, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Thought of that post when I came across this example of a flocked Dakota head that's seen a lot of sun while reading an old log:
    009_3.jpg

2. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

We hunt some nasty boot sucking muck and it destroys anything flocked so I have all painted Dakotas. Been running the same ones since the 2nd season Dakota was invented and a little washing before each season and these things still look brand new and we’re rough in decs. Flocking looks nice but not realistic for mud.

3. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Maybe the ducks don't care about nice looking decoys, but I sure do .
    If I'm spending my time and energy putting them out, then sitting
    there looking at them for hours, I want to enjoy what I see!

Ringbill

TooTall likes this.
  4. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

My thoughts exactly. Flocking is to attract hunters in to spending more money. Gotta keep up with the Jones's

Billy Bob likes this.
  5. Lovetogun

Lovetogun Refuge Member

Spend the money on the flocked heads if you like or buy some good looking painted ones. I love the avian x decoys, especially the preeners and rester packs due to the different body positions, I feel it makes a difference. I buy what I want, dont care what anyone else thinks but I'm anal about them and take care of my gear that I spend my hard earned money on. These days with the number of guys out hunting, realism goes a long way, IMO. I buy beaters to fill in spots so the birds wont land there and use my hundreds of dollars of motion and realistic decoys to get the birds where I want them.

marshmob likes this.
  6. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I agree,I always buy the best that I can afford,it doesn't matter if its decoys, fishing gear,or whatever.I also like Avianx ,maybe not the best but certainly a value .

Lovetogun likes this.
  7. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

The way some manufacturers have bettered their duck painted heads I don’t see flocked being a make or brake thing like in the past. For honkers I still like flocked tails & heads because there’s so much black it really makes them stand out.

Vammy and Lovetogun like this.
  8. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

After looking at flocked vs unflocked FB mallards, I decided to go unflocked with the Avian-X AXP's. We will see...but all my floater mallards (DOA's) are unflocked too, and they must be OK, because I suck at calling and birds still come in :l

Mean Gene, Billy Bob and Lovetogun like this.