Flocking a silo

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by marshmob, Jun 28, 2018.

1. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

I picked up several dz Big Als and looking to see if anyone has tried flocking fluted plastic. I’ve flocked normal plastic decs and didn’t know if there was a trick.

2. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    [​IMG]

WHUP ! Hen, callinfowl and isu22andy like this.
  3. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

Here some i did real geese loom great

Attached Files:

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  4. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Rough up with sandpaper and wipe clean with acetone. I did it and found it to be a pain. A guy on here said to push the flocking on. I haven’t tried it but thought it might help and speed up the process.

Ringbill likes this.
  5. marshmob

So just dump some on and literally push the flocking down?

Ringbill likes this.
  6. 10gaBBB

10gaBBB Senior Refuge Member

I have flocked the heads on dozens of silouettes; 60 Big Als included. Very easy process; just time-consuming. Lightly sanded the heads, quick wipe with acetone to get any oils off, used Aero glue. Used an old flour-sifter to get the coverage of flocking I wanted.(Very heavy) Used a rubber glove and "patted flock into glue. Resifted more flock; then shake off excess. Let it sit for a couple days to cure then do the other side. Haven't had to redo them in 5 seasons so far.

Ringbill likes this.
  7. Big AL1

Big AL1 Refuge Member Sponsor

I have done several...never sanded them prior/ though probably will not hurt to do so. I would suggest just a light sanding. Taping out the eye/ beak/ white patch takes the most time.
    Generously brush on matte black Rustoleum (oil based)...not latex. Sift on flocking heavily in a large tray. Use a tray/line it with a garbage bag plastic. Collects all the loose flocking as well to re-use. After flocking...do NOT touch, shake/ move too quickly. Lay flat/ let dry. Wait for atleast 2 days...do side 2. After both sides are good and dry remove your taped out areas.

8. marshmob

Thanks 10ga!!!! If your ever around Kansas City stop on by and I’ll have some Makers on ice. Just look for the guy covered in flocking

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

That is how I did it.

I work over a large flat plastic or metal bin. I started back in the days of Iron Fuzz glue. When they quit, I went to Aero. Good stuff. (I tried Rustolium, Aero is better)

Lay the glue (paint) on as thick as you can without it running. You do not want a thin coat. Do one end, finish, then do the other end. You want to apply the flocking when the glue is as wet as you can.

Glue is on, now hold the painted section over the bin. Grab a big hand full of flocking (or use a paper cup). Dump it on, thick, like 1/2"-1" thick. Cover your entire section. Now, go back with a flat hand and lightly pat straight down. Careful to go straight down, or you will smear the paint. Then tip the section over the bin, and let the excess slide off. I use a screwdriver (or something metal) to tap the edge of the decoy while having it tilted over the bin. Lightly!! You can do the other end now. Make sure you follow the black lines on the back end as they go into the body. They really stand out.

Because I lay on the glue so thick, I like to lay them flat for at least an hour, preferably overnight. Then do the other side. Be very careful handling them for the second side, as even overnight, the glue can still be smeared.

I did my RG silos over 15 years ago. Stored in silo bags. They still look great. I noticed after a year, the ones I did with Rustolium did not hold the flocking as well. Yes, I know others have had success, and I am not arguing with them. Just, in my experience, a glue MADE for the purpose works better (Aero). I re-did my Rustolium flock jobs with Aero. (I went to Rustolium because Iron Fuzz went out of business)

I had a tutorial here many years ago, but Photobucket ate the pics. Here are some of them....

Back end painted....
    upload_2018-7-2_9-25-17.png

Piling the flocking on
    upload_2018-7-2_9-27-53.png

Patting it in
    upload_2018-7-2_9-28-56.png

Hanging out to dry
    upload_2018-7-2_9-30-21.png

Compared indoors
    upload_2018-7-2_9-31-18.png

Compared in bright light

WHUP ! Hen and Ringbill like this.
  10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Oops. To many images...

Compared in bright light....
    upload_2018-7-2_9-33-6.png

WHUP ! Hen and Ringbill like this.