Flocking heads

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by TheDogger, Dec 20, 2017.

1. TheDogger

TheDogger New Member

Does anyone still sell head flocking kits? Have some older Bigfoots that I'm looking to touch up. Pros vs cons? Any particular brand work best?

2. QakQak73

QakQak73 Refuge Member

Aero outdoors.

Lots of varying opinions, but I personally get flocking from there; and use Rustoleum Flat Paint, matching color to whatever I'm flocking, as my "glue"

Really sets the decoys apart!!

3. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Aero Outdoors flocking. If you use rustoleum for the glue use the gloss...it will give you a longer working time before it starts to dry.

4. hatch

hatch New Member

Aero sells the flocking kits that come with the paint and flocking.

5. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

I just did several dozen mallard heads. If you use the search button on main page you can find great info on flocking. Are you reflecting previously flocked heads? You might need a primer base if doing flocking straight to plastic. I did reflocking on previously flocked GHG mallard heads. Thats what I did, and It s simple once an expert like Mean G explains it. here are some tips from Gene I expect he does not mind me sharing: (substitute Rustoleum Black for the green if doing goose heads)

""""You need to use an airbrush if you're going to paint flocking. If you have one you can mix Rustoleum hunter green and flat white together to get what you want. If you don't have an airbrush you can get a lighter color green and just reflock the head. If your existing flocking is holding strong that's what I'd do. It's VERY simple to do You gob on paint (I use Rustoleum as the glue) then dump flocking over that, tap the bottom of the decoy, then lightly shake off the excess. Put your flocking in a plastic bin, scoop it out with a hand held sifter, and hold the bird over the bin when you "sift" the flocking back on. The excess will fall back in the bin for you to reuse later. You can vary the final color of the flocking by varying the color of the paint. (Use Aero Flocking ) (note--I used a sifter device and a brush to gob on the paint as I did not have a airbrush).
    The sifter I use I got at Walmart. It's not one with moving parts. DO YOUR FLOCKING OUTSIDE OR IN A SHOP OR GARAGE AS THE FINE MATERIAL WILL DRIFT ALL OVER THE HOSUE OTHERWISE. It looks more like a scoop made of screen. Put the flocking in a wide plastic bin that has sides about 4-6 inches tall. Put the paint in the head, scoop up the flocking, put the bird over the bin, "sift" the flocking on really thick, tap the bottom of the decoy with it still over the bin, then very lightly shake off the excess back into the bin. You can reuse what you recapture. You'll need to put a lot of paint on over the flocking before reapplying. Put paint on until it almost drips off. Don't touch the flocking until after the undercoat of paint is dried hard. If you do happen to touch it, you can drip some paint into the depression and cover it with flocking again. Do the flocking in the garage. It gets everywhere and if you do it inside and your wife sees it you'll be dead meat. Allow at least 24 hours for drying before you touch it, and make sure you let it set up in a dry, warm spot. Once it's dry you can blow off the excess with an air hose from your compressor. Experiment with your "glue" color. Take a board and do small spots. For the first two try Rustoleum FLAT on one, then try gloss black on the other, and see the color difference. Use gloss paint for your glue . The gloss dries harder and gives you more working time before it starts to set up, and you want it wet when you spread the flocking on it. For smaller areas, like just the heads, you can use the craft brushes you get in packs at Walmart. Just pick a size you like and go for it. Once the flocking is on and dry, put gloss black paint over the eyes and it will look great.""""

Search other posts for more info but the above info i gleaned from Mean Gene is all I used and am completely satisfied with results.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    HONKSRWORKN likes this.
  6. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I have been using donjer flocking and adhesive for a while. I clean and scuff the heads prior to applying glue and flocking. The adhesive takes a day or so to fully dry depending on temps.

7. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

When I was doing a lot of decoys I would buy from FlockIt due to a better discount for quantities of 5 lbs or more. For smaller amounts it really didn't matter. Aero has the best color selection by far.