Flocking

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Refuge Member

Guys i need to re-flock the GHG full body geese decoy tails and heads.An redo some of my silo's as well

Is it ok to just repaint them with rustoleum flat black oil based paint and apply the flocking to that.

I never did the white cheek patches as i never knew the paint and white flocking was availablewas available.

I think some of the flocking adhesive was from a kit i bough called don jer or something like that . But that was 15 or so years ago.

In short is ist still fine to use the rust paint and black flocking on the heads and tails or should i get a proper "kit"

2. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

Gloss rustoleum holds better for me it dries harder

3. Easterncanadafowler

do you guys flock the cheeks on canada's if so with what ?

4. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Make sure you get any lose flocking off the decoy before you put any more flocking off. How I do it is scrub with a wire brush, a coat of gloss black rustoleum and then flock. Dry at least 24 hours longer the better though, then a coat of gloss black and flock. The cheek patch I like to use gloss almond rusteloum but you can use white. It's not really worth your time to flock.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I prefer the Aero glue. They are a sponsor here. Holds up better than Rustolium, and I have used both.
    http://www.aerooutdoors.com/products/flocking/index.shtml
    The advice to 'de-flock' is sound. No sense covering something if the base is just going to pull off.

Re-Flocking ( I have experience, since the Rustolium didn't hold enough flocking over time) takes more paint/glue than over a clean surface. Just factor that in. However, it also looks better (thicker).

I also agree with not flocking the white. Again, I have done that. Not worth the effort, gets dirty fast (geese get dirty too, but we want our decoys to stand out). Almond is probably closer to natural, but, again, we want the decoys to stand out. I have always used a flat white. Any latex paint is fine. (Almond is not wrong, I just have a different way of thinking)

6. Easterncanadafowler

I had some flocking here and some rustoleum gloss black and I did seven heads and tails tonight to see how they look.I hope they last awhile and I have a new way to store them in my trailer so the heads and or tails will not be chaffing inside a decoy bag so time will tell if they last . why do you do them two coats.mine still have a fair bit of flocking on them so I pained over them and put lots of flock on them.They take a fair bit of paint when going over previous flocking.

7. Easterncanadafowler

I will be taking better care of the decoys from here out and I have a better way to store and transport them.I only get out about 3-4 times/year due to not having a lot of geese around here.

8. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

Native is right on and he has a ton of experience flocking.I have seen his work and it is the best non factory work I have ever seen.Go on the Aero Outdoors website and they have a lot of great products and some good info.

9. Easterncanadafowler

10. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I use two coats because it creates two layers of flocking that holds better and will last longer.

Mean Gene likes this.