Flooded out--what to plant now??

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Ducky CPA, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Ducky CPA

Ducky CPA Senior Refuge Member

My Japanese millet is flooded out. 5+ inches of rain put water over 4ft deep on it. Water has been over the top of it since Monday and will stay over it until approx Friday. It will then take another week or so to drop water completely off of it, then probably another week to dry out enough for me to be able to plant something. So we are looking at August 15th as the absolute earliest to be able to plant something. One other issues is my seed dealer is out of Jap millet so will need something else to plant. Any suggestions or am I just screwed??

2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I'd think you'd be able find jap seed somewhere on line, albeit more expensive due to shipping cost. But I wouldn't let that get in the way at this point. Should be plenty of time for it to make good seed.

Your other choice for a quicker crop would be buckwheat, about 45 days to maturity. While I've never hunted over it, a lot of guys do and swear by it.

3. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

I believe your seed dealer could locate & have seed on hand prior to August 15. Depending on quantity, it may be more expensive.

4. Crow Creek

Crow Creek Refuge Member

How old/tall is the stand of millet that is flooded? Did you have a good stand? You may be surprised and have some of it survive, jap millet is fairly flood tolerant.
    If it doesn't survive I would replant the same thing (assuming you can find the seed).

5. Ducky CPA

It was planted two weeks ago.

Just got back from seed dealer--was able to get enough Jap millet to do a 50/50 mixture of Jap millet and buckwheat.

6. Ducky CPA

If I time this right I know I can broadcast the millet once the water is off the original planting of millet and the mud is just a little shiny and it will sprout. If I mix in the buckwheat into the Jap millet and broadcast the mixture after the water is off, will the buckwheat sprout? Or do I need to wait till dry then disc it all up and plant the mixture? This food plot is only two acres so not big deal either way.

7. Shell Shocked

Shell Shocked Senior Refuge Member

Where are you located? I'm in west TN myself. I played around with buckwheat last year. It started out very strong but fizzled out when we got a lot of rain late last summer. I'd say it does not tolerate moist soil much like millet can. Just my experience with a small patch. I would not mix the two. I'd keep a section open and wait for the soil to dry out a bit before the buckwheat goes down.

As far as time, you should have plenty of time with a mid to end of August planting. My Jap Millet tends to head out on the quicker side.

8. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

I've got both planted now in different areas. Jap millet was cheap. Elevator found a distributor in Rolla, MO. $30/50 lbs.

Buckwheat is used as a cover crop because it grows quickly and with proper minerals will overtake and shade out weeds. At low seeding rates you may not have that issue but something to think about.

JFG likes this.
  9. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Buckwheat is a dry ground plant. We have never had much luck with millet past August 7, here in TN. Unless it is wet, which is rare from August onward.

10. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Try both, one will reign supreme for sure.