Florida Mallard

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by quackerduck, Dec 19, 2017.

1. quackerduck

quackerduck Senior Refuge Member

Can some one point me to a guide for a Mottled Duck. Have been to Fl twice now but have not had any luck. be safe and have a good Christmas . Thanks

2. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

When are you going to be in Florida...and where....

3. buckmaster1

buckmaster1 Elite Refuge Member

Apollo Beach, Fl, Formerly from Gloucester, VA
    Not trying to hijack someone's thread, but I move to the Lakeland area from Virginia a little over a year ago and haven't been hunting yet. I could use some guidance as well. Have done some asking around but haven't found anyone willing to help.

4. quackerduck

quackerduck Senior Refuge Member

Was looking at Jan, and the where would be where ever the guide is . Have no set location. Thanks

5. Bamawaterfowler

Bamawaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Lake Okeechobee and Patrick AFB in S. Florida
    check out Storm Area Treatment (STA) hunts. You can walk in on hunt days -- will get easier as the season goes. Easy way to get a shot at a mottle and you dont need a guide. otherwise, you will have to get south and find a guide near Lake O.

6. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

The storm water treatment areas are south of lake okeechobee. And get harder to near impossible to walk on to after January 1st as the deer season ends and the antler army goes looking for something else to shoot.

High water everywhere this year making it tough.

7. Bamawaterfowler

never found that to be the case...as the year goes on, especially late Dec to mid Jan, STAs/Broadmoore/Goodwin opportunities were better as duck fatigue set in with most hunters. Now the last week of the season and the ender got harder again.

8. H20DAD

Broad moore and Goodwin are north of the lake and probably easier to get into. People should try there for sure.

But starting the first week in January the walk-in line almost doubles each morning for the stas. I’ve seen over 200 people trying to get 7 permits. It isn’t pretty. Not sure where you are getting your numbers.

Mlk weekend is known as “ain’t no way” weekend as in “ain’t no way you can walk on before mlk day”.

9. Bamawaterfowler

still have to disagree...I have a house on Lake O since 1999...hunted every STA, Broadmoore/Goodwin since 2002. From late Dec to mid Jan it gets easier to walk in. Afternoon hunts too. Now do agree it ramps back up as the year comes to an end. to the OP -- check out the public waterfowl hunting places listed in my and H20DAD posts. Join United Waterfowlers Florida ($25/year) -- even if you dont live here, post up on the private form and ask nicely (not for specific spots) for help. There is also advice on which STA has more walk-in opportunities. And TM Goodwin/Brodmoore chances. Best of luck in your mottle hunt. BTW, we have shot more mottle ducks this year than teal on Lake O. There is a guide on the St Johns I recommend, google Coastal Sportsmen. Capt Jeff can put you on most anything to include a mottle. Again, best of luck in your adventures!

10. H20DAD

You know. Do what bamawaterfowler suggests and then get back to us on how it worked out.....

But make sure you blame him when it doesn’t work out just like he says.

More mottled ducks than teal on lake o because the lake is about 4 feet high due to the hurricane. There are no teal on the darn lake.