Florida Mallard

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by quackerduck, Dec 19, 2017.

1. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

That’s awesome that’s what I would like to do those are some nice birds

2. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Derek is a nice guy and has the STA situation dialed in... the OP will have a great hunt with him.

3. duckmanJR

4. buckmaster1

buckmaster1 Elite Refuge Member

Apollo Beach, Fl, Formerly from Gloucester, VA
    H2O Dad, FYI, I recently moved down here and Duckman has extended me an invitation to hunt with him. I'm currently hunting back up in Virginia but plan on getting up with him when I get back.

5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Don’t get shot.

6. H20DAD

Don’t worry. My group has permits for all the hunt days the rest of the season that I can hunt. You aren’t upsetting me. But sending a 65 yo guy from out of state to attempt this type of hunt on his own on an sta for a lifetime bird is irresponsible, imo.

Considering we (my hunt group) were responsible for 10-20% of the mottled duck numbers some of those days, I’ll still stand by my comments. And the places with the highest mottled duck harvest numbers are the hardest to walk on to. 95 for 7 permits the other morning. For a single hunter those are long odds. After deer season that number of walkons could double for the same or fewer permits.

7. pukeko

pukeko Senior Refuge Member

I'm 55 and have collected nearly all the NA species DIY and all the NZ species DIY. Only exception is the Blue Goose that I got on a guided spring SD hunt. I did hunt with Derek but I had already figured out where I was going to hunt and was 3rd in line to go in. He offered to hunt together rather than compete for that spot. I'm certain that his expertise paid off for me but I had figured out where to go on my own. It's not rocket science. I highly recommend Derek but it's not impossible DIY. I only have a few birds left to check off and I will DIY, even the King to all the naysayers.

waterfowl challenge chart.jpg 16.jpg

8. H20DAD

It’s easy to fall into duckman jrs camp of jumping on the lone guy trying to be a voice of reason. But by your own admission you’d scouted the weekend before and had a permit, the original poster has neither benefit. And this year there is an extra foot of water or more on all the areas after the hurricane.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  9. duckmanJR

:l "Listen to me all you people...I'm the lone voice of reason"
    Pretty pathetic when even faced with the data and exposed as a fraud...he stays with his story.

He *NEVER said* he was there the weekend before...It could easily be he was there and got in for the morning hunt and did his scouting...then turned around and came back and did the Afternoon.

10. H20DAD

This is what he posted.

Did I somehow misstate his words?

So to further explain my position, he got two walk on hunts and didnt get his birds, but had to come back on his permit hunts after having had scouted.