Florida-Strain Mottled Duck Release Program Approved

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Floridaboy, May 29, 2002.

1. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

The FFWCC alsoapproved a proposal to allow the release of Florida-strain Mottled Ducks on registered shooting preserves.

In case you didn't know, in March of 2001 the Commission passed a ruling that would end the release of mallards on shooting preserves by 2008.

Today's decision gives the preserves the opportunity to switch over to FL mallards. This was the next step in helping to protect the FL Mallard from hybridization

2. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

Good...........that will help us from losing our duck.:cool:

3. D Duck

D Duck Moderator Moderator

I only see one problem here. What is the current commercial availability of Mottled Ducklings for release?

4. Floridaboy

Don,

That is a great question.

Answer: I have no idea.

Let's ask Kevin on Saturday.

5. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

I never thought about that one.:confused: We need to find that out.

6. D Duck

I would hope that the FWC gave this issue some consideration before jumping into this decision, but the question still needs to be asked.

7. Floridaboy

I wonder if this has to do with those blood samples they took form the birds South of Gainseville?

8. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

I'll call Goodwin and ask Ron Biefeld how the Mottle Duck project is going and if they have any figures yet. I did some volunteering making the traps to catch the suckers. All I know is that I see Drake Mallards all the time around here.

9. D Duck

Kevin posted an answer to this same question from WW on Floridawaterfowler.com. Basically, the FWC is going to approve all breeders providing Mottled's for sale. At least they did their homework prior to jumping in the pool head-first. :D

10. Floridaboy

Here is Kevin's answer:

...Curently, no one raises FL Mallards in captivity. This proposal authorizes private hatcheries (that meet the disease, cleanliness, and a lot of other standards) to start raising FL Mallards. The brood stock will be provided by FWC. The best way to show you is to post part of the proposal ...

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The revised rule would allow the release of only captive-reared, Florida-strain mottled ducks for shooting purposes on licensed private hunting preserves statewide. Preserves would be (1) required to obtain mottled ducks only from breeding facilities with which FWC had a current, legal agreement for raising Florida-strain mottled ducks, (2) required to keep detailed records, including a certificate of origin, and (3) subject to inspection. It would be illegal to release birds not meeting minimum standards for purity. These standards would be based on phenotypic characteristics provided by FWC until a genetic technique becomes available for testing individual birds. The current rule allowing preserves that recently have participated in mallard releases to continue to release mallards until June 30, 2008 would remain in effect.

The designated breeding facilities would be only those that had received Florida-strain mottled ducks or eggs for brood stock under permit from FWC. Federal permits also would be necessary for the removal of mottled ducks or eggs from the wild and their transfer to captivity. To be eligible to receive wild, Florida mottled ducks or eggs for start-up, breeding facilities would be required to demonstrate or document their experience and ability to breed and produce large quantities of captive ducks, and to meet minimum standards for sanitation, cage size, and other husbandry parameters. Breeding facilities would have to agree to allow FWC to inspect their facilities and examine their brood stock for genetic purity, and to a policy of culling suspected hybrids from the brood stock.

Several issues remain unresolved regarding the process for deciding which breeding facilities will receive mottled ducks or their eggs to establish a captive breeding flock. Staff will work with representatives from the shooting-preserve and duck-breeding industries over the next few months to determine whether ducks or eggs are required and the number required to establish a viable captive breeding program. With the Commission’s concurrence, staff will resolve these issues and prepare a rule change, for consideration at the September Commission meeting, that would provide for release of Florida strain mallards from private hunting preserves as described above.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------