Flushing dog "pause"

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Over The Decoys, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

I've had the chance to hunt upland with my new pup much more than any of my other Labs. In the process of "learning the game" I've noticed a trait I've not experienced before with other flushing dog I've hunted over (my dogs or others) and wondered if this was common?

It's not every time she's on a bird(s) But in cover that isn't what I would call "heavy" she will get birdie and then hit the breaks or pause. All she needs a little "get him up!" from me she will dive in and up it goes.

My theory on is that the bird almost surprises her when she's hunting it and then all the sudden sees it right in front of her nose. In heavy cover where she can't see hardly anything or runners she sees before it dives into cover this never happens.

BTW I'm fine with this (especially with young hunters in tow... Nothing like a tell to be ready for a bird) just wondered if others see this too?

Anyone else have flushing dogs that pause on birds?

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Adam

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  2. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Almost sounds like she wants to point? Not sure where the bird is for sure? Just asking.

3. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

When it happens I'd say the bird is anywhere from 2-4ft in front of her....

Cheers,

Adam

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I have hunted upland with three different labs of my own. All of them have paused at times...

Hunting a running or moving bird, and suddenly they come nose to nose with it, it seems there is almost always a pause. In my experience this only happens when the birds are close and in good cover. I think the dog gets a really strong scent, and cannot see the bird, and is possibly pausing to get a directional sense of the bird???

480/277y and BirdJ like this.
  5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Along with Squaller, I also think the dog wants to catch the bird. I know mine does. So, before they blow it with a flush, they might be thinking "OK, I know the bird is close, and I don't want to blow it again. I gotta know where I am leaping."

480/277y and BirdJ like this.
  6. Kali_Diver

Kali_Diver Refuge Member

My dog does something similar.:cool:

7. Bert1984

Bert1984 New Member

My lab does the same thing, his mom was a pointing lab though. Like you said it's handy with young hunters and slow old guys. Lol

8. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Seven labs over the years. Six did pause at times on some birds. The seventh was a solid pointer.

9. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Pointing Labs -- The Ultimate in American Versatility.
    7% to 10% of Labs from "non-pointing" lines will point.

10. Sdbrd

Sdbrd New Member

My dad trains labs, and I have trained a few of my own now. Most of the ones we hunt with will point at times like squaller said. None of them are pointing lines, but it seems to me once they figure out the pheasant hunting game, they want to catch the bird and when they get real close its like they are locking in the radar to pinpoint the bird. Then dive in