Fly fishing near Denver

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by Cocklebur, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

Hello everyone,

I will be heading to Colorado on a family vacation in mid June for a few days. I was thinking about bringing my fly fishing gear and wondered what your favorite streams/ rivers close to Denver were. Doing research online was difficult and I didn't really come off with a great understanding. I would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks

2. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Fished out there on a business trip about 12 years ago. Wanna say south platte river maybe? Area is called deckers used to consist of some cabins and fly shop. Fishing was excellent caught good fish everyday and a couple over 4lbs. Plenty of access. Only tip I have is small flies I mean small 22 24

3. Cocklebur

Thanks for the insight.

4. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

There is tons of good fishing around Estes Park. I went there last summer, it was a blast. In the park there is plenty of access with hiking paths or the Big Thompson inside/outside the park.

5. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Deckers can be very good and is fairly close.
    Clear creek can be pretty ok at times.
    Waterton Canyon (S. Platte) can hold some decent fish and is very close, but gets a lot of pressure.
    The Blue can fish really well and holds some big fish, but kinda weird to fish where the river flows through the outlet mall property...
    Not too far from the Ark...

If you can get away for the better part of a day your options open up tremendously.

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I have no idea where to fish or what to catch them on...

But, what I generally do is is call a local fly shop, and tell the owner you would like to purchase a bunch of flies to fish some local waters, and you want to know where and what to fish...

I realize I am not getting the very best info doing this, but I also know I will get some info that will give me a start...

I once went on a trip, and through some research found a reputable fly shop, order some flies (after talking to someone on the phone). He sent me the flies, as well as a map with areas and directions to fish, as well as the hatches that I could expect to be happening.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  7. Trout Bum

Trout Bum Senior Refuge Member

Mid June we probably will still be in runoff.

Tailwaters are your best bet, South Platte for sure. Probably worth hiring a guide for the day. You can get on some quality water on the Platte for rod fee and worth it if you can come up with the bucks.

If the flows have dropped which could happen. I really like the upper Colorado River which is a little over 2 hours from Denver. Fraser River can be outstanding especially on private water. A little closer than the Collie.

I'm not a big fan of the Blue, not sure why.......it's a tailwater and fairly close to Denver.

Good advice calling some of the local fly shops. Check out the one in Bailey if interested in private water on the Platte.

Good luck and have fun!

8. Cocklebur

Thanks for the help everyone. I look forward to exploring some new water in Colorado.

9. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Others have recommended Estes Park and RMNP, and those are good. If you are willing to drive a couple hours north, Poudre River and Canyon have some excellent and much less crowded fishing. Go north of Ft Collins on 287 and take a left at Ted's Place.

Really cool spot, where the mountains and flat land come together. Might even see some sheep or moose up the canyon, and there are several high resevoirs to fish if you want that.

10. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

cocklebur - everything is still pretty wild out here - mountain snowpack is at 200% of normal, rivers are at or nipping at the heels of flood stage and badly blown out - most running several hundred percent of their normal flow for this time of year.

If you bring your gear, be wicked careful. I'd guess that with the conditions of the reservoirs even tailwaters are gonna be rough right now.