Fly fishing question.

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Greybeard, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

What do you guys think of the idea of using a Pale Yellow/Orange # 2 Lead Pencil for the basis of making a few Beetle Bugs for Bluegill/Trout?
    I'm tinkering with the idea of cutting the wood pencil into 3/16th inch segments, splitting in half to remove the lead and using a good epoxy to glue in an appropriate size Hook along with some close-clipped hair as a pseudo wing-tip. Sand down the edges and paint them black on the underside and little dots on top to imitate wing casings.
    50 or 60 years ago these were a real killer on nesting 'Gills and Crappie but now I can't find them anywhere. Back then they were made out of very small cupped Tin bodies with a tiny drop of Solder to position and hold a size 16 or 18 thin wire hook slightly bent to the shape of the shell.

This is probably just a "pipe dream" from an old Coot that is falling off in the deeper hole of the "retirement pool" but I'm getting ready to head down into Missouri Trout fishing with 4 "younger Bucks" and I sure would love to hand them a different kind of Fly and say "Here, try one of these and make sure you've got a good holt on yer Flyrod before this Bug hits the water.";)

2. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

I think that is too labor intensive for me. Modern foam bodied beetles and ants catch fish quite well and can be tied pretty quickly.

3. bruce

Fifty or so years ago we often used a Gaines popper with a dropper tied to the bend to add a wet fly or nymph trailing about eighteen inches behind for bedding Bluegills. Sometimes added a fly rod pork rind on the dropper. Sometimes caught two at a time. I think there are way too many really terrific Trout flies right now for me to want to do what you are talking about for Trout however, if you do it and it works you will go down in grandson history! I am a fly fishing fanatic too. Right now in Key West with three days of Tarpon/flats fishing ahead. Best to you.

4. Adduckted

Adduckted Elite Refuge Member

Pre cut balsa wood is easier to work with.

5. bruce

I made extended bodies of balsa for hex imitations in the late seventies. They looked great and the fish loved them but they were too rigid lengthwise and limited the number of hook-ups for that reason. Balsa is definitely easy to work with and floats like kapok but it is fragile. I think it needs to be coated with epoxy or at least a good paint to improve durability.

6. bruce

Sorry for double post.

7. Greybeard

I have a friend that is an excellent Fly Tier and I've considered tossing this thought to him. He ties for Montana Fly and does excellent work and could come up with something similar to what I'm thinking about and save me a bunch of frustration. (even a slight Stroke will leave your hands trembling).

8. bruce

Dan, I didn't know that you had a stroke from other posts that I had seen from you. Sounds like you know someone who can fix you up with what you want. If you want another source, let me know what you are looking for. I have been tying for over forty years. I enjoy having reasons to tie flies beyond my own use. I am limited right now by a shoulder which needs to be replaced but will have a new one before next Bluegill season.

9. Greybeard

.....just have a little "hitch" in my get-along in the left foot/ankle area. Thank Heaven I'm OK with the right arm and shoulder and speaking of that
    you mentioned in your reply about a shoulder replacement?!!!! I hope it's not your Shooting/Fly Fishing arm! I have a Cousin that had her Left Hip replaced last year and says she is having trouble with the Right Hip now.
    I thank you for your offer on Tying some Flys but our buddy Gregg keeps us well stocked on almost every kinda Bug there is. He'll be going on our Missouri trip with us toward the end of July and I imagine my Fly Vest will accumulate another 5 pounds or so of his latest "creations."
    I hope your Ocean Going Trip goes good for you! Maybe pull a "Spencer Tracy" on us and post up some pictures of "The Old Man and the Sea."

Tight Lines!!!!:tu

10. bruce

One Poon to the boat yesterday 85-90 pounds. Leader in top guide and broke off intentionally.Left arm is too weak to help much. Our plan is to get them to eat get a hook set and enjoy the fun early jumps and then break them off to avoid a long struggle. We somehow missed a situation which has been going on for several days where on a strong outgoing tide, lots of crabs are pulled over a hole where a large number of Permit hang out. The Permit come to the surface and slurp crabs like Browns on a Hex hatch. The fish didn't show while we were there! Off today and fishing the next two. I'm glad your stroke was light. Several family members went through it and theirs were bad. My offer stands on the flies should ever need it.