fly rodders?

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by quivira kid, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Rjm6254

Rjm6254 Elite Refuge Member

Dan
    Ed passed away this year but your right he was a tremendous talent .
    He was a great fish carver .
    Bob

2. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Awesome pic BOBM. Thanks for posting! This has turned out to be a fine thread. Thanks fellas

3. theswampthing

theswampthing Elite Refuge Member

Maybe I can hook up the scanner and post up some pictures of my fat azz on a steelhead trip from a few years back out in Erie, PA. :D Got some pretty nice fish on that trip with a 6/7 weight flyrod.

4. Rjm6254

Here's the finished fish carving .
    Bob M
    [​IMG]

5. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

we fly fish a ton around here, not surprising I guess. We have the boise river run right through town where you can consistently catch rainbows and browns. We also make a few trips into the mountains for cutts, brooks, and bulls.

Here are a few photos.

It's a prerequisite for my son's girlfriends to fly fish, we don't force them to duck hunt, but they must fly fish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My son worked in a fishing lodge a couple summers ago and got to fly fish for silver salmon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did this wood carved reproduction for my son after his Alaska silver salmon fishing trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Zach Byron

Zach Byron Senior Refuge Member

Thats an awesome wood carving WD!

7. Brent4Hire

Brent4Hire Elite Refuge Member

Beautiful carvings.

Mr. Hess should post pics of his work over here.

As a child, I grew up casting for sea-run specs and mackerel. When I got a little older, a cousin introduced me to Atlantic salmon on the fly - that was about 20 years ago and the first time I have touched a spinning rod since was when I started guiding arctic char fishing in Ungava Bay. I've always been a big Temple Forks fan, personally.

8. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

The photos of the streams/rivers are flat-out killin' me! We don't have anything like that here in the "Land of Mudwater."

9. Rjm6254

Heres some recent fish .
    These trout were caught in Montana.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

those are dandy trout Bob. My son Caleb is the only one who has caught any browns of any size, but we catch the little 10 and 12 inchers right here in town. The boys tie their own flies and of course they tie them for me too. My oldest made me a fly rod too.

Greybeard, my oldest son was born in Jacksonville, we lived near pittsfield on a farm for 5 years back in the middle 80's. The water was a little murky, especially in comparison to our streams up here.

The boys keep threatening to bring their flyrods along when we duck hunt. We routinely see trout feeding in the small creek we duck hunt on. We occasionally see trout jump on the snake river and have watched a 5 foot sturgeon come completely out of the water right in front of the decoys. It sure makes you wonder where that deep drop off is.