Flyfishing DIE HARDS

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by sacha szymczak, Jan 29, 2002.

1. sacha szymczak

sacha szymczak Elite Refuge Member

I see alot of gear chuckers here,dont get me wrong I chuck gear about 1 month a year (for springs on the Fraser).But what I want to know is who here has a hardcore passion for flyfishing!I love it!I build my own rods(as well as all my friends rods!),I tie my own flies,and spend all spring and early summer chasing rainbows,cutthroat,dollies,brookies,and cutthroat trout around B.C.,I would fish into the fall more than I do, but hunting season stops most of my fishing!

I just wanted to see who else out there loves this method as much as I do :D

2. grnhdseducr

grnhdseducr Elite Refuge Member

Don't build my own rods but I do love fly fishing. Have already started my season on streams. With the exception of the dog, I don't do much of anything else till bird hunting starts again. Can't wait till I can start running rivers and doing float trips etc. The fly fishing is really good here.

3. sacha szymczak

Ghs,
    I have been running rivers in a pontoon boat for a few years now and that sure is a blast! And not to mention alot cheaper than a drift boat!
    Point downstream and row for dear life is what I usualy tell people who do it for the first time! :D
    Oh ya dont forget your PFD it may be all that saves your ***!! :)
    Fly in trips are something that you just cant compare to anything else! Talk about a little peace and quiet!! You can here a mosquito fart!! If you can only do it once, DO!!! You will never regret it!

4. grnhdseducr

Wow! What rivers are you running in a pontoon - size of river n' boat, class? I can't afford the drift boat and some of the rivers we regularly do I would be scared. Make do with oar frame n' raft, float tubes and a zodiak. Only gotten to fly-in in Alaska about 10yrs ago, don't have the time or money now. Besides Colorado has some pretty secluded spots for fly fishing. Once you get to a high alpine tarn and stream, there is nothing better. Have a brother in Washington and he says he will get me into some steelhead this year. What do you make your rods out of - how many pieces?

5. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Yup! I'm one of those Flyrod Lunatics! I don't build my own but do tie my Flies.

BUT....you and Seducr must remember that I'm stuck in the Midwest Mudwater!.....Illinois.

You two are talking some of the PRIMO places for flyfishing!

My boys, older brother and a couple of younger buddies will be fishin' the White River (in Arkansas) this Summer. That's about the closest we have for real Trout fishing.(forgot to mention that I'll be going along, also).

I've fished the Bighorns in Wyoming....took my breath away! First time West in REAL mountains. Needless to say, I didn't want to come home!

Oh well, guess I'll just have to be happy with Smallmouth Bass and that's about all an Old Coot like me can handle anyway.

6. sacha szymczak

I havent run any water thats over class 3,I feel that I could probably shoot class 4 if I had too!
    In the summer I run all kinds of local rivers.Some are meandering and others are plain crazzy in my view!But I have a blast doing it!
    The big downfall to a pontoon boat is if you want to anchor and fish the middle of a run,they are kind of hard to fish out to the sides on but still doable! If I get access to a scanner I will post some crzzy pics of me in some sweepers! :D

I almost forgot,I like sage,t&t,and winston blanks! By far,hands down,the best rods out there!!!

7. grnhdseducr

Would really like to see pics if ya got em. The stream across from my office is legal to fish on starting today - lunch breaks just improved 10 fold.

Greybeard I can relate to your location. Growing up I didn't know that I wasn't supossed to be bass fishing with a fly rod (at least not in Tennessee). Thats the great thing about fly fishing - anywhere you go only the fish and scenery change. Its always relaxing and fun. But I came west and never left.

8. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I am employed by Trout Unlimited. While we are primarily a flyfishing oriented group, there is a strong commitment to endorse all fishing styles due to the need to stand together on habitat protection and restoration issues.

9. Krappie

Krappie Senior Refuge Member

I got bitten by the muskie bug. I use to fly fish on some Great Lake's tributaries for steelhead, brown trout and brookies when I was growing up. I was as crazy about steelhead as I am about muskies right now. I still do my share of flyfishing of steelies during the spring run, and may even give it a try this weekend. In fact the only thing I use while pursuing trout is with a flyrod. I tie my own stuff also, but have been tying more bucktail spinners and pouring plastics baits as of lately for the toothy critters.

Hey Good Ole Greybeard is a fly fishing nut, and he hangs with good company. You should see the awesom fly that his son's friend made for me!!!! In fact, it's such a nice fly I would hate to get it damaged from a fish.

catch ya later,
    Krappie

10. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Hey, Krappie...er...uh...I mean MUSKIEMAN"!
    What the hell happened to our Packers?....O.K., we won't go there!
    The "Sparkle Minnow" I sent you was really a Crappie version.
    We're gonna "create" a special version of it specifically for your new-found love....oh,yeah, Baby!...dem 'Gators. It'll probably weigh about a 1/2 lb. when finished but I'll bet you knock the eyes outta them with it!

Sacha: Are you lamenating Bamboo over fiber-glass or graphite?
    My oldest boy swears by the Sage, our fly-tying Guru buddy swears by this new Reddington rod and me, well I'm an Orvis man.(guess it's an Old Mans thing). St. Croix makes a nice 9 weight for heaving Deer Hair bugs for Bass and it's very affordable.

Tennessee Girl: I don't know where Summit County is (DUH! I could look at a map) but if you're close to Denver you've no doubt fished Cherry Canyon Reservoir for Brookies.
    My oldest son travelled all over the West with a Rock Band ( he's a very "nasty" Guitar player) but he based out of Denver. I think he knew every stone and boulder in every stream/river out there.
    Being originally from Tennessee, you'de be proud to hear he is now back here and playing in a COUNTRY Band.!