Flyfishing DIE HARDS

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by sacha szymczak, Jan 29, 2002.

1. grnhdseducr

grnhdseducr Elite Refuge Member

SS - Thanks for the offer I'll try and get some pics. Saw your post in the dog forum. Definitely have the right hobbies almost the right dogs, if they were wirey. LOL;)

2. sacha szymczak

sacha szymczak Elite Refuge Member

I came close to getting a wirehair but our little girl "Isis" was to adorable to pas up,and she is starting to turn into quite the little bird machine!I cant take her waterfowl hunting though! She starts howling like a wolf when I start duck or goose calling!!!:eek: :D Its quite funny though!

3. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Read your return posts about the Bamboo Flyrods.
    Here's a possible link that can get you appraisals on those old Bamboos'.
    Sacha...your friend with the 1932 Hardy may be very pleasantly suprised to find out that rod could be worth a small fortune.

I found this on Yahoo.
    1.On their main page, go to Recreation & Sports and click on Outdoors.
    2.Scroll down and click on Flyfishing.
    3.Scroll down to Clarks Classic Rods.
    4.Scroll down and click on Forum for Classic Flyrods.
    5.Scroll down and click on Appraisals/Identification of Bamboo Flyrods
    There is a link here where you can submit info on your rod and get a free estimate of what the rod may be worth. Example I saw here was:
    1959 7 1/2' Hardy CC de France estimated at $600. to $800.00 value.
    Just something I thought you may be interested in.

John Gerach highly recommends a fellow in Michigan for old rod value. Brian (my Son) said he will try to come up with that guys name for you.

4. sacha szymczak

Greybeard,

Thanks for the info about yahoo. I took my friends rod in to a couple of shops and fished around for some info on it last year,most people were placing the value of the rod in the 2500 dollar range!Now that sure is a find! I wish I could find something of that value kicking arround my parrents house(without them passing of course!)and the best part is that it is only going to go up in value,he has decided to keep the rod and hand it down to his son,I would like to see what it is worth in another fifty or sixty years!
    He said that his father never realy fished much when he was a child so I guess it was one of those items his father bought on a whim and just put away in the closet for the rest of his life, hence the condition that its in!:)

5. grnhdseducr

Thanks for the info Greybeard. Another distraction from work. Have several bamboo rods from a variety of decades that I would like to find out about. I'll let you guys know what I find. SS, if I come up empty handed I'll try and get you some pics.

6. sacha szymczak

Will do GHS!:)

7. Jayhawk

Jayhawk Senior Refuge Member

I have only been at it a year, but I would say that I have the Die hard attitude. I am in Kansas City so the trout fishing options are pretty minimal, crappie and bluegill in a small stream are equally as fun. I learned basic fly tieing when I tore up my knee and had to stay home for a week this fall. Now that the hunting season is over it is time to get serious about fishing again. My brother and I are planning a trip this summer either to Colorado or the Black Hills to do some good trout fishing. I fished the Black Hills last August and it was outstanding. The fish were not very big, there were a lot of them, hardly any pressure, and difficult to catch. Quality fishing (to me) has nothing to do with how many you have in the creel, the challenge of knowing the fish are there and trying to throw them something they will bite.

sacha szymczak and grnhdseducr,

This was perfect timing for me to come across this thread since I have a trip planned to both Summit County, CO. and Vancouver, BC. I am asking for advice on fishing opportunities in both locations. I am going to BC in September, but can probably only fish one day (probably pay a guide although I hate to). I have a friend from college that just moved to Dillon (he is a saltwater flyfisherman and not up to speed on trout yet) so we might stay with him this summer and do some fishing (no guide). Any advice would be appreciated, anything from tackle to good places to good books to best time of year. I am still tying to decide whether I should thow my rod in for my trip to Vail later this month, everyone else is going to ski, I might get some fishing in. A Colorado trip this summer is one my brother and I are really looking forward to. private email is fine

8. grnhdseducr

jayhawk, feel free to email me with specific questions and I'll do what I can to help. Depending on the time of year you come out to Summit County can change where you want to fish. You can definitely catch fish out here without a guide. If your friend lives in Dillon you're not more than a mile from some really good fish in the Blue River.

As of today, the snow in Vail is such that I would bring a rod, especially if you are going to have a car. It started out today well below zero and has warmed to almost 50. Its kinda rough on snow conditions, but we are suppossed to get snow tonight.:D

9. sacha szymczak

Jayhawk,
    As far as fishing goes up here in b.c. september is in the middle of the summer daldrums for trout fishing,the trout are lazzy,and hard to come by unless you are in the mood for some alpine lks,or cold glacial fed rivers.BUT,sept is prime time for big springs(KINGS as you call em)and sockeye salmon! You may verywell be more interested in fishing with some gear on the fraser river for these hard fighting fish.Also some of the best fishing on the fraser can be had only an hours drive from vancouver.

If you are comming up in sept leave me a pm and I can get more details from you and also help you with any questions you may have:)

10. Jayhawk

Jayhawk Senior Refuge Member

Thanks fellas, I will be in touch.