Flyfishing DIE HARDS

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by sacha szymczak, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

JAYHAWK: You say your Trout fishing opportunities are limited there in K.C.

Just run 150-200 hundred miles Southeast into Missouri. You'll find some VERY GOOD Trout fishing in that area.

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I would rather catch a fish on a fly than any other way. Doesn't mean I don't fish any other way, just means I prefer the fly. I live around a "few" good waters: Sacramento, McCloud, Klamath, Fall, and Pit rivers, Hat Creek, and too many lakes to list. I also do some commercial tying. I started of tying 33 years ago when my dad decided it would be a good idea if I learned how to tie flies so he could fish with them. Been tying a few here lately...got 9 dozen waiting for the shop and should have a BIG order coming in next week. Oh my aching fingers! I'll be coming up to B.C. next June to do some fishing. Some of us from the local fly club went up to the 100 Mile House area a few years ago and had a great time. We'll be back up there next year. we found a lake called Howard lake that had some GREAT fishing. We found out about that lake from a lady at a fly shop up there. She said it was good fishing but it would be crowded. I think her idea of crowded and our idea of crowded were a bit different. There was only about 10 people camped there! :D There was a campground with a dirt boat launch and an island about 100 yards off-shore. All the boats would put in and buzz off somewhere and we would put in the float tubes and paddle out toward the island. We normally had several fish long before we got to the island and then would spend the day catching about a zillion trout around the island. The only flies we needed were large brown leeches and Carrey Specials. I can hardly wait until next year! I just ordered some materials from a place out of Kamloops. They had a GREAT price on beads for beadhead flies.

3. BRUNO

BRUNO Senior Refuge Member

Yup..nuthin better than standing up to your **** in water, throwing a big ole bug out into the oily slick just waitin for that big frothy boil and the strike....
    We fish for Atlantic Salmon here,I throw a 9'6" for a 9WT Fenwick HMG and a Loomis GL3 9' for an 8WT ...I tie my own flies as well..

4. sacha szymczak

sacha szymczak Elite Refuge Member

I am happy I am not the only one who finds himself another way of breaking the bank after hunting season!
    Mean Gene,
    Keep In touch and I could help you guys out with some fishing up in these parts!

5. Jayhawk

Jayhawk Senior Refuge Member

Greybeard,
    Thanks for the advice. We do make a couple of trips to Bennett Springs every summer, which can be quite entertaining at times. Will probably try Tanneycomo sometime this year also. I also have a good book titled "Fly Fishing for Trout in Missouri" which outlines some good areas. Both Kansas and Missouri have a good stocking program, but the fish are more easily caught on light spinning tackle. The Missouri Department of Wildlife and Parks just stocked some of the urban lakes, I guess people were catching fish before the truck was done dumping. The real challenge is with a wild population, which Missouri has if you can get access.

6. grnhdseducr

grnhdseducr Elite Refuge Member

7. sacha szymczak

GHS,
    The name is a little hard to make out,but I think it says HINDUVINE please tell me if I am correct,also is there any further information on the rods ie, line weight(although they look like their from the silk era),rod length ect.
    I will look into any info I may be able to dig up,but I to have never heard of this rod maker,
    I will see what I can find out from a few of the fellas up here!

8. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Good God, A-Mighty, GHS....that's the first rod I ever made!!

See the elongated "fish" symbol with the arrow and MY INITIALS in the arrow? D E....stands for Dan Earleywine!!!!(well, it does!)

I always wondered where that ended up!!(yeah, right!)

Seriously, I think you had best pursue a highly-regarded expert on that one. By what I could make out, the makers name is hyphonated which would lead me to think it is French made. Also, as best as I could see, it looks like the abbreviation for the month MARCH (MAR) and maybe a very small '99 right at the end of the MAR. (1899?)
    That, sir, could be a VERY RARE rod.

You might look in a book of "Trademarks and Makers Symbols" for fishing equipment. That's how I tracked down my W.W.Greener SxS Shotgun. It was made at St. Marys Works, Birmingham, England in 1868.

9. sacha szymczak

Come on Greybeard we know you realy built that rod but your just not willing to admit your born pre 1899! LOL :)

10. grnhdseducr

grnhdseducr Elite Refuge Member

Wow I guess you really have a Greybeard! I haven't been able to find any markings other than Hinduvine on the rods. I did get a response on another forum and curious if this makes sense to you guys:

The precursor to Tonkin cane was Calcutta, which was also known by several other marketing names. I can't quote a reference but I'm fairly certain that Hinduvine is just another name for Calcutta. As a rod making material Calcutta lost out to Tonkin because of both cosmetics and springiness. The rods in your photos are trade rods made for Norvell-Shapleigh Hardware (Saint Louis, MO) as indicated by their trademark "DE" which stands for "Diamond Edge". They appear to have been made for them by Montague and are nicely appointed for their vintage, which I'm guessing would be some time between 1910 and 1930. If I had them I'd probably try to clean them up and/or restore them for an occasional evening on the water. The best place to learn about that and similar rods would be Mike Sinclair's "Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook".

I'll try and get some better pics or reformat the ones I have to be clearer. Thanks for the help guys!:)