Flyfishing DIE HARDS

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by sacha szymczak, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

GHS: Yep, the ol' hair, beard an' mustache sure are grey! Pushin' up to 65 this November...HEH!HEH!HEH!...finally get some of that money back that I've been loaning the Govmt. for years an' years!

Hmmmm, Calcutta, INDIA.....Hinduvine, HINDU VINE....maybe a "common" reference for the religion of that region??
    Anyhoo, it sure looks like you're on the right track...keep after it.....shucks you may be holding a "one left in existance" type of rod. Might just bring a big enough price to buy your OWN stretch of stream.

2. grnhdseducr

grnhdseducr Elite Refuge Member

Yeah Greybeard, I wish they would turn out like that. The two rods are pretty similar except color and some markings. If they do turn out to be worth something it would be a hard call. They were my grandfathers, so sentimental attachment is strong.

I did find a guy in Denver, who is good at identification and does restoration. So I am going to try and get with him next time we're in Denver.

New question for you guys - Ever heard of, used All Star rods from Florida?

3. sacha szymczak

sacha szymczak Elite Refuge Member

GHS,
    I have done a little snooping around and I cant find out any info on your rods,even the few fellas that I know who are split cain rod buffs had no deffinitive answers for me. Sorry,I tried though!:confused:

If they were your grandfathers, I too would not get rid of them,and I would keep them as family heirlooms,I also would not fish them,for the fact that the materials(bamboo/cane) may have become unstable over the years of questionable storage.But if you want to fish them have a reputable person who deals with these types of rods inspect and load the rod to see what modern fly lines it could handle.I would asume that they were built durring the times when greesed silk lines were comonly used.

4. grnhdseducr

SS,
    Thanks for the help! I think I'll have the guy in Denver restore them and definitely no plans to fish'em.;)

5. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Hey GHS, I posted your picture link on a fly fishing board but no luck yet. If anything comes up I'll let you know.

6. grnhdseducr

Thanks MG!

7. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

GHS: Yeah, that would definately be a hard call. BUT...a MILE of your own on the GREEN or MADISON?..."Uh, Granpa, please forgive me buttttt...."

Was that guy in Denver at a shop called "The Fly Shop of The Rockies"?

Also, 2 other places you might inquire of: "Crazy Charlies Fly Shop" in Buffalo, Wyoming and Sam Mavrikis "Fly Shop of the Bighorns" in Sheridan, Wyoming.

Both of them are great guys.

Even though you don't want to get rid of it another reason for finding out it's possible value would be to get it insured....just like any Vintage Shotgun or Rifle. Just a thought.

8. roninrus1

roninrus1 Senior Refuge Member

Coaster, Love to chase those tails on the flats. Love trout fishing here in CO just as much, the air temp in the mountains & cold water helps. Worm fishing Texas lakes on summer nites for BIG bass - Hey I even like to catch bream on a 4 wt. and a popping bug. Or crappie on wholly buggers or - Hell I just love to fish. Part of my problem is which way to go during hunting season. Fish, duck or goose hunt. Maybe pheasant or quail. Been flyfishing over 40 years, when I was a kid on the Texas coast people would stop and ask what I was doing. Most had never actually seen anybody flyfish.:D