Flying spaghetti monster?

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by goosenazi, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

So your OK with Islam and jhade? Not me. Anyone out to harm others I will speak against.

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Maybe these will help you Lip: link deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2016
  3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

"About the only belief system which seems to lead its followers to attempting to offend is the belief in nothing."

We tend to not go out of our way to offend people, but rather as a defense against the intrusion of other's beliefs upon us. I shouldn't have to go up to a public building or courthouse and see a copy of the ten commandments in stone in front of the building, or swear an oath upon a bible, or have to argue in front of the board of education why creationism and intelligent design should not be taught in school, and I should be able to hunt on Sunday, anywhere in the country without having some blue law forbid it. To be fair, I also don't need somebody wearing a bomb vest run into my mall or business and blow them self up yelling "allah akbar" either. I would love to visit the middle east and was looking forward to a trip down the Nile, but religion (wars and terrorism) is putting the stop to that.

Let's flip it around and say that you are in Iran or Saudi Arabia. How do you know feel as a Christian? Comfortable? Or would you be a little (or a lot) both on the defensive, as well as even feel persecuted. Now you know how a lot of the anti-theists feel here in North America.

4. bang you'r dead

As to the belief in nothing, that is wrong as well. I believe that the universe (as per current evidence) began as a singularity. How space-time works at the moment of the singularity is not known, nor is the core fabric of our universe, with many mysteries to be unraveled. How many dimensions are there. Certain string theories say 7,9 or even more. How does gravity occur? What happened before the singularity? Are we destined to end in a singularity? Is there a unification theory that works? These are scientific questions that , when answered, may bring us further understanding of our universe. Just thing of the knowledge and discovery in the last 200 years. It is mind-boggling.

Let's do the science for awhile, and deal with that, and then we'll come back and make arguments on whose God and creation myth best fits the evidence.

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

You can't really compare being an atheist in America to being a Christian in the middle east. It's one thing to "feel" persecuted and uncomfortable as a minority, and a whole nother ball of wax to actually be persecuted to the point of being in danger. As much as you may not like seeing the 10 commandments on the wall of the courthouse, it's pretty unlikely there will be in Christians there intending to kill you if the opportunity arises.

As to seeing things like the 10 commandments, the fact is that this country was founded, grew, and prospered on judao Christian values and ideals. That's not the same as saying the government or country itself is Christian, rather the society as a whole was. While you may be offended that you see it, many others may be offended when they don't. Why is your being offended more important or correct than my being offended?

6. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

LOL that is so far from the truth.

Why did the founding fathers senate vote and president sign a document saying this country is not a christian nation? Why was everything added after the country was formed? Like adding under god onto our money? Like adding under god to the pledge? Push push push from the religious right. Now they get their panties in a wad when we the people say "we can't take it anymore"

Oh and what is a judeo christian value? One that no group or sect had before the birth of Jesus? (which may not have happened anyway)

7. bang you'r dead

I'm sure if given the time I can find the names of at least 20 American Christian groups who incite violence and terror in the name of "God", so yes, it may be a dark time if you are not of their particular flavour of christianity. The "Army of God", "Christian Identity", "Christian Patriots", "hutaree christian militia", etc., etc. are all ultra right wing "Christian " groups who threaten anyone and everyone outside of their groups.

In a religious survey taken a couple of years ago, the results were interesting. Bertelsmann Siftung published the worldwide survey 3 years ago.
    Two points that stuck out to me:

More than any other country in this study, U.S. residents agree with the statement “Leading religious figures should exercise an influence on government decisions.” And, along with Israel, we rank highest when it comes to believing “Only politicians who believe in God are suitable for public office.”

And:

50% of U.S. residents find atheism “threatening” (second only to Brazil, where the number is slightly greater than half).

Would you vote for a non-Christian president?

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Man you're stretching. How many nonchristians in this country walk the streets actually in fear of harm or death? You know as well as I do that number is very very low and any comparison to christians in many parts of the middle east is assinine at best. You even said yourself you won't go, yet I doubt you'd say the same about anywhere in the US.

What does the latter part of your post have to do with anything? :scratch Why is it surprising that people find atheism threatening? It's no different than how you view Chrisitianity---a country led by either side will likley move in a direction the other doesn't like, it's only natural to not want that to happen. You yourself basically proved that in your earlier post about not wanting creation or intelligent design to be taught in class.
    As for my voting, if given the choice I would absolutely prefer our leader be Christian. I don't think that should be a legal requirement, that's something the people should decide(and it appears they have). I certainly prefer a leader that fears God and follows Christ teachings; and if we got one that honestly did I doubt you could find much fault in him yourself other than disagreeing with his beliefs.
    Would you vote for an honest to goodness Christian?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  9. bang you'r dead

I have in the past, but religion rarely comes up in CDN elections, if ever. If you were a Christian who professed that the world is 5,000 years old, and that man roamed with the dinosaurs, and the fossils were planted by God as a test......you might have problems actually getting elected. I have voted for known agnostics/athiests, christians, and most with unknown religious history. Again, not a big deal in Canada.

Nearly all the more famous athiest/non-theists who have been in the limelight have received threats against them from religious "nuts" who threaten both them and their families because of their public discourse against organized religion. Letters like this are very common, contrary to popular belief.

[​IMG]

Lots of other examples out there with famous athiests like Richard Dawkins, Penn Jillette, Christopher Hitchens (deceased),

http://www.goddiscussion.com/115235/penn-jillette-receives-death-threats-because-of-atheist-views/

http://aattp.org/atheist-receives-d...shing-plaque-honoring-freethought-in-alabama/

so yes, if you are professing your athiest views in a public forum, be prepared to receive the "Christian love".......

10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Say an atheist blows up a church, in the name of science and logic. Does he represent all atheists and what they stand for, or is he an unfortunate anomaly?