Flying spaghetti monster?

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by goosenazi, Feb 18, 2016.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Father Wenceslas Munyeshyaka was notorious during the 1994 genocide of 800,000 Tutsis for wearing a gun on his hip and colluding with the Hutu militia that murdered hundreds of people sheltering in his church. A Rwandan court convicted the priest of genocide and sentenced him in absentia to life in prison. The International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda spent years trying to bring him to trial.
    But the Catholic church in France does not see any of this as a bar to serving as a priest and has gone out of its way to defend Munyeshyaka.
    It's not an isolated case. After the genocide, a network of clergy and church organisations brought priests and nuns with blood on their hands in Rwanda to Europe and sheltered them. They included Father Athanase Seromba who ordered the bulldozing of his church with 2,000 Tutsis inside and had the survivors shot. Catholic monks helped him get to Italy, change his name and become a parish priest in Florence.
    After Seromba was exposed, the international tribunal's chief prosecutor, Carla Del Ponte, accused the
    Vatican of obstructing his extradition to face trial. The Holy See told her the priest was "doing good works" in Italy. Another Rwanda priest taken on in Italy is facing charges of overseeing the massacre of disabled Tutsi children.

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Religion has often been used as a justification for war, but it was seldom the reason.

3. bang you'r dead

A nice summary paper presented at the Conference on Genocide, Religion, and Modernity United States Holocaust Memorial Museum May 11-13, 1997

http://faculty.vassar.edu/tilongma/Church&Genocide.html

Down to the conclusion:

Conclusions

Given the facts that I have presented, it should be clear that the failings of the Rwandan churches during the genocide were not the result of a few corrupt individuals but rather were deeply rooted in the very nature of Christianity in Rwanda. The manner in which Christianity was implanted in Rwanda and the policies and ideas promoted by missionaries began a transformation of Rwandan society that ultimately made genocide possible. After independence, the churches stood as important centers of social, economic, and political power, but rather than using their power to support the rights of the population, the churches were integrated into wider structures of power that allowed wealth and privilege to become concentrated in the hands of a select few. The churches as institutions worked with the state to preserve existing configurations of power in the face of increased public pressure for reform, ultimately culminating in the strategy of genocide. While never publicly endorsing genocide, the churches nevertheless are complicit because they helped to create and maintain the authoritarian and divided society that made genocide possible and because the entanglement of the churches with the state made the churches partners in state policy. People could thus kill their fellow Christians on church property and believe that their actions were consistent with church teachings. The complicity of the churches in the genocide is not merely a failing of Christianity in Rwanda, but of world Christianity as it has established itself in Africa, and it should lead people of faith throughout the world to question the nature of religious institutions and the ways in which they exercise their power.

Rwanda.

4. bill cooksey

Power and resources are the reason for most war/mass atrocities. The last article mentions "power" as the cause many times. Misuse of a religion was merely a tool in gaining power. Politics works just as well.

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Exactly.

6. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Native NV Ducker and pointblind like this.
  7. bang you'r dead

Jacking the thread "in absurdia" . We could invoke Godwin's Rule as some point here as well.

8. bill cooksey

I suppose the enlightened believers in nothing have deduced the lack of a deity would cause humans to cease fighting over power and resources. Brilliant!

9. bang you'r dead

Just the opposite. I know I don't know everything, but I do pursue knowledge and attempt to understand the workings of the universe, and question the information in front of me, and test the assumptions and conclusions made by others. To claim intellectual superiority would be the last thing I would admit to. I learn something new every day of my life. I, like everyone I assume, wonder about what the big picture is, how we got here, where are we going, and to try understand the physical and metaphysical. It is overwhelming. I thought I was dead 8 years ago when I first had metastatic cancer, and I spent a lot of time thinking about God(s) and since then, have done a LOT of reading and have come to terms with my own mortality, and have accepted the eternal sleep if that is what awaits me, or if there is a metaphysical higher plane, then to relish what awaits me there. What is my personal belief, am I an agnostic, an atheist, or would I be considered an antithiest? Depends on the day I guess.

I can't disprove the existence of God, just as you cannot prove that there is a God, or that the flying spaghetti monster does not exist, or that Russell's teapot is out there circling the sun.

I do enjoy the discourse, so please continue.

10. bang you'r dead

No. But they would not use their religion as justification for their immoral actions, whether the persecution of the Jews, the Crusades, the Rwandan genocide, all done under the belief that it was sanctioned by the church and that the slayings and persecutions of others were justified.