Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

FOID trouble????

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by duckmann, Jan 14, 2017.

1. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

Got a letter in the mail yesterday from the ISP informing me my FOID was being pulled because their is an order out of Franklin County for Stalking. Told me I have 48 hours to comply by surrendering the FOID and giving them a list of all my guns, models and serial numbers and where they are now that I have no FOID. Here's the problem, there is no such court order or if there is it is against someone with the same name. I've never been served by the court and don't no of anyone in Franklin county nor do I go there often except once or twice a month to eat at Larry's in Christopher. 48 hours. It's a holiday weekend. Courthouse closed until Tuesday. I'm going to call the ISP number this AM but can guess how that "guilty until proven otherwise, then still guilty" call is going to go. I've considered moving the guns to my son-in-law's place 6 miles away but don't want them dragged into something that shouldn't even exist. My gut (with my distrust of the entire system) tells me to roadtrip them to my daughter's house in southern IN this weekend to get them out of town. Suggestions, similar situations?

Jon C likes this.
  2. jmonte35

jmonte35 Senior Refuge Member

I would call Doug Gruenke. He's a lawyer in O'Fallon, IL and a concealed carry instructor. I'm sure he will give you some recommendations without paying a retainer. Obviously if you need a lawyer he can be your guy or steer you in the right direction.

What a dang nightmare. I wouldnt mess around at all. there has to be a way for citizens to sue back for wrongful actions like this.

3. baker1527

baker1527 New Member

PM me I may be able to help you out.

4. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

KEEP US INFORMED ON HOW THIS GOES !!! IMPORTANT TO ALL GUN OWNERS !!!

Jon C likes this.
  5. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

So I was served yesterday. Name of the fellow sounded like someone I might have seen at work at the VA. Had a wild 6 page narrative with multiple dates of contact alleging threatening with a handgun, vehicular stalking, use of "sophisticated tracking software on my phone" to keep track of his location, etc. I knew if it was work related it had to be because of a compensation and pension case where he was denied service connection by the VA. That appears to be the case. Worse yet for the fella is that I have documentation that proves my whereabouts on every occasion he claimed I was stalking including several dates in December when I was on vacation in South Carolina and house shopping for retirement. Have a hearing next Tues in Benton in this case. Problem is that the temporary order (which anybody can get by filing a complaint) triggered the ISP to pull my FOID. Have moved my guns out of the house. I'm guessing that even when this gets thrown out and I go after a restraining order against the complainant and possible pursue a slander case I'm still gonna have to fight the ISP to get it back.

6. gock5

gock5 Senior Refuge Member

my 2 cents, hire a good attorney to shut this down immediately. the longer you let it go, the harder it will be to take care of.

riverrat47 likes this.
  7. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

If you are a member of the NRA try to get them involved. They have an 800 hotline w/ referral to lawyers. Keep us informed !!!! Durbin and Duckworth neither would probably be any help since they are both anti gun. You may try to get your local State and Federal representative and Senator involved. At least inform them of situation. Nobody should have their guns taken away from them on just hearsay. This is a law in Illinois that definitely needs to be changed !!!!

riverrat47 likes this.
  8. Redleggs

Redleggs Senior Refuge Member

I went thru a similar situation with a mentally ill relative who made false accusations against me.

In Illinois you can get a order of protection with basically with "no fault." You loose your FOID card automatically and within a few days.

In my case I spent several thousand dollars defending myself and got an injunction against the realtive. The judge who granted the original OOP was apologetic stating they grant 99.9% of requests no questions asked.

I had my FOID back within two days of the hearing. This occurred only because I had a judge who was a 2nd ammendement supporter and some good friends in the ISP who were looking out for me.

Unfortunately the State is much quicker enforcing the OOP than they are sorting it out. In fact the quickest you can get a hearing before a judge to sort things out is 20 days.

My advise would be get an attorney and file a counter OOP shooting for Permanent Injunction against the original plaintiff. It's expensive it's time consuming it's super aggravating but it will keep the plaintiff from having his fun by turning the tables on him or her. It also establishes some standing for you in the future.