Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Food for Ducks

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Grey Goose, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Grey Goose

Grey Goose Senior Refuge Member

I know that several folks on here are affiliated with DU, Delta, or some other waterfowl organization. That being said, are there any efforts taking place to restore SAV where us hunters could help? I would be more than happy to spend some summer weekends planting "stuff" in the Potomac to attract and hold ducks. I'm sure others would be willing to do the same in areas where they hunt. I don't know if it will do any good but it's worth a try. The ducks simply do not winter here anymore and I think we would all like to change that.

2. Vandy Grift

Vandy Grift New Member

We have an organization here called Wings Over Wisconsin that does that. Originally set up as an an organization dedicated to upland birds they now work to acquire and restore all sorts of habitats including wetlands. They work with private landowners as well at the State DNR on restoration projects. They even sell seed and rent planting equipment to private landowners at low rates.

http://www.wingsoverwisconsin.org/about

This looks like a similar initiative in VA. Not on the Potamac, but nearby. Maybe they know are aware of some others.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/huntley-meadows-park/restorationproject.htm

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

4. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Chesapeake Bay Foundation's "Grasses for the Masses" Programs...all over Virginia.

5. Grey Goose

Grey Goose Senior Refuge Member

thanks Montauker and Kahunna.

6. RedDog

RedDog Elite Refuge Member

I used to grow sav's for CBF up in Md. You would buy a large plastic tray like for mixing concrete, a water filter, daylights and clean sand. The hardest part was keeping it clean and not having the algae over run the grasses. Then everyone got together to plant them. They provided the rootstock
    I also grew sav's and emergents for my own area. It worked a little too well. I always got wiped out by the geese and would have to replant every year.

7. mdmallard

mdmallard Refuge Member

Where did you buy your SAV's and emergents?