Food for thought

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by stumpjumper0531, Dec 18, 2018.

1. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Just wanna say....a duck call IS a free reed operated instrument no different than say a saxophone, clarinet or harmonica.

If someone handed you a saxophone could you play Mary Had a Little Lamb? No? What would it take to do so? I remember in band they gave all of us the mouth piece for around 2 weeks to learn to blow proper air before we ever actually got to blow the instrument. So most likely it would take awhile to learn proper air. Hmmmmmm.......

Also, if you couldn't play the instrument when handed to you, would handing you a different manufacturer work? I mean dont they make different ones so that you sound good? No they dont.
    Now they do sell different lengths, widths and different material reeds to achieve different notes and to fit the operators air pressure but there is no magic set up.

So what makes people believe that when they pick up a duck call they will sound the way they want. Or makes them keep buying all these different manufacturer calls hoping to find one they sound good on?
    I can not express the importance of proper practice and being honest with yourself. Also the importance of tuning your own calls. Both of those will help you in your travels of duck call operations.

Just food to ponder on.

Stump

2. stumpjumper0531

Let's squash the thought that this post was in response to or about someone. It's not all about you....like I said, food for thought

Stump

3. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Tuning is something I'd genuinely like to get better at.

I know my capabilities and I know on my Lares, XR2 and others what sounds I can make. However I have had issues with a few other calls on certain sounds.

My CWF sticks at times on the first note and at times during a chatter. I typically prefer a little longer reed because of my air presentation. I tend to lean on my calls pretty hard at times but do a decent job controlling it on the bottom. I'm guessing it's a tad long but I've found if I go shorter that I can over blow it. I'm going to try to back off on the air pressure and re train myself.

It's the Indians fault, not the arrow...

4. Thinblueline

Thinblueline New Member

I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of my first RM call, an all acrylic mallard green pothole. First call I ever bought that cost more than $35 or $40, and my first ever single reed. Having always blown double reeds, I’m sure there is going to be a learning curve in how I blow this thing, but I’ve got a long wait for next season, so I’ve got time to turn into a duck.

5. stumpjumper0531

Free, if you need the extra umf I'd suggest a Alpha.it was designed to take the extra air. Guys that cant back off a call will like the Alpha. Still let's you hit all the notes you want.

Stump

6. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I actually purchased a mallard green one this morning :tu I can't wait to get it.

7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

More food for thought, you can call ducks with single quacks and a single cut feed, it's not rocket surgery.

8. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I’ve always recorded my duck calling any played it back so I can hear what I sound like and then try to improve areas that I need to. Also go down to the Park and listen how the hens respond.

Joe Guide likes this.
  9. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Senior Refuge Member

As a X clarinet player, I agree with what Stump said. Good thread!

Joe Guide and OneShotBandit like this.
  10. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

What are you getting at? If you don't know how to play the saxophone, handing you different saxophones doesn't magically make you a saxophone player... obvious

If you know how to play the saxophone, or take something like the viola, then different violas may give you the tone/sound you want, which is in part why some are millions of dollars and loaned to head performers in big concerts.

What if the sound you want is geared towards a mainstreet style routine, you wouldn't be running a macrohen, nor an XR2.

And there's no denying the different sound of an xr2, you don't get that from a lares hybrid.

I don't know that I pick up different calls thinking it will make me a better caller, but rather, thinking, will this call sound more like a duck, or be more versatile, or run a ringing hail, or whatever it is. Presumably there's a reason you make more than one duck call model.

Are you saying you're having issues with customers that think buying your calls will automatically mean they are world live duck champions, when they have nowhere near the ability to begin with?

It seemed like you were pointing out that the call can't make you a caller, if you're not a caller, but then you asked the question of why people buy and try different calls expecting different results, that's easy, because it produces different results. It doesn't magically make you Trevor Shannahammer, but it may give you a more lifelike tone, it may give you the clearer, louder, ringing hails, it may have that bore size that gives you the hold you need to finally get that Cajun squeal right so on...
    Some of that may be able to be achieved through extensive practice with another call, but you aren't running Cajun squeals out of an xr2, nor ringing hails, not as the call was designed to be run anyway. I love that call to death and have talked with Fred in person about it multiple times, even he'll say, I love it, but the feed sucks.

So there are tools for different jobs, but no, buying a microscope doesn't make you a Microbiologist.