Food for thought

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by stumpjumper0531, Dec 18, 2018.

1. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

I've never known a rocket to need surgery bud :flameIt's science lol.....or brain surgery. That said, I will absolutley 100% agree with everything else you've said.
    TBL, dont get discouraged if that pothole doesnt sound or do what you want it to do immediately upon picking it up. But, being a smaller bore call you picked the right one IMO to make the switch from doubles on. If your mechanics are good, you will pick it up in no time. FF I really dont think you're gonna be disappointed with that Alpha. Can get whisper quiet on it and still have the ability to crank. Like Stump said, you're not gonna overblow that bad boy unless you got Ronquest lungs lol. And I still prefer an Alpha over the CWF not because I cant back off it but because I PREFER not to.

freefall likes this.
  2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

Captain obvious!!!:rolleyes::l:l:l

3. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

My XR 2 has been the death of many a mallard.... it isn't going to ring out any hail calls but it's got a special sound. That little difference in tone can be deadly, especially on.foggy days. 20181219_114855.jpg

Mort likes this.
  4. dgp1717

dgp1717 New Member

I think you missed the point of the post.

Brands of calls don't matter. Main street vs. meat or timber calls don't matter. A loud or soft call doesn't matter either. What matters is learning to properly blow a duck call. That's it. Once you figure that out, then everything else starts to matter. Too many people "can't blow this call or that call" when the actual truth is that they can't blow any call at all.

If you know how to properly blow a duck call, you'll be able to make good duck sounds on both a Primos Wench and a Lares Hybrid. At that point, tones, styles, etc. can actually matter to you and you can find a call that you like for real reasons. Then it's time to learn all the crazy squeals, hails, clucks, whines, you name it.

If you just entirely disagree with this, then I'm afraid you may be blinded by the fact that you don't know how to blow a duck call. Sorry.

5. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

What if they stayed at a holiday inn express last night?

callinfowl and freefall like this.
  6. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

What you pointed out was eluded to in the first line of my post, I was simply trying to get clarification on what exactly was being said over the whole post, because saying someone who can't call, can't call, regardless the call in the hand is one thing. But then in the last part of his post, pondering on why people buy different manufacturers, pick up other calls, thinking it'll make them sound different is another, different calls will make you sound different, xr2 is a different sound than an MVP. They won't necessarily make you a better caller, they may help a little (jesus, think of trying to learn on something like a Cutdown that takes insane amounts of air to run, vs a small bore easy blowing call like a microhen), but it is the indian, not the arrow, we get that, I would hope everyone gets that.

It seemed like it was two points mixed together, but perhaps that last part of his post was still very directly pointed towards those specific people that can't call, expecting a call to make them an expert caller, but why would you think they'd have a relevant answer? If you can't play saxophone and you think switching saxophone manufacturers will make you Sonny Rollins, you're an idiot, there probably isn't much of anything of value to be heard from someone like that, especially on the intricacies of playing saxophone or on subtle differences between reeds and so forth in saxophone manufacturing.

I don't know, the wording just seemed odd to me and I was trying to suss out exactly what was being said and/or asked.

7. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    Smartest thing said this week!!

8. Joe Guide

Joe Guide Refuge Member

Having played in a band in middle school, the wood wind instruments certainly akin to better understanding of reed control, and I think makes one apprecate the instrument of a duck or goose call. One must be encouraged and nurtured and practice...practice...practice - to get better control. Small people can throw out a might hail call...better at times than a 300 lb Big Boy....(but I digress).

Find a call that suits you, one in each specie you will encounter and practice with it until you get better control.

Learn when to stop calling is also an art. Watching a young person kill their first wildfowl...or watching a young dog learn from watching a old retreaver is a blessing and brings a bit of grace into your outdoors world.

freefall likes this.
  9. Joe Guide

Joe Guide Refuge Member

As a kid...learning the graces of calling from a 3x champion, I wanted to learn it all as quickly as I could. That ol man...kept saying that - you just got to get outside ...far away from civilization and practice yo' lessons...quack, chuckle...high ball...comeback. Work on it on your drive to school...or work...RECORD yourself...and listen with a critical ear and when you find fault...work on correcting that fault.

I have judged contests all over the USA and contests are calling JUDGEs...nothing more, nothing less....I've seen the good, the bad, the ugly...and the conceited....but the best of the best...learned the hard way, the right way...the way that takes time and effort, and might I say....joy...in one's efforts in that skill by teaching others how to get better.

I stil have a big problem .... when I see a well crafted call. They are a piece of history...when you understand the stories behind some of these call makers. Most all prior to 1960 were craftsmen...who valued quality...and in that light...individuals with money...will always buy quality...over something poured in a mold and mass produced. Quality matters...but everyone has various opinions on this and other subjects too...however that is another story.

V/R
    Joe Guide

freefall and OneShotBandit like this.
  10. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

One of the elements I appreciated about RedBone Speck calls was the instructional CD's and video's Nathan Wright provided. Nathan started with the basics of how to blow a range of scales that serve as the building blocks to produce the myriad of Speck notes. Those that made the effort to learn that way were well rewarded.