Food for thought

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by stumpjumper0531, Dec 18, 2018.

1. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

Alas, he no longer provides them. You have to hunt elsewhere for them.

2. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

The Carlson instructional duck calling system was also very good for those that took the time.
    Most everyone is looking for shortcuts to play Jazz before they learn Classical.

3. TheCanMan

TheCanMan Refuge Member

It’s one thing to learn how to blow a call and another to know how to use it successfully. Just blowing it correctly won’t bring in ducks. We are having a conversation with the ducks, you have to know what to say, and when to say it. That is just as, if not more important. Learn how to blow it and then learn to read the ducks body language, can’t just learn air presentation and then go out and start blowing at them.

OneShotBandit and brentbullets like this.
  4. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Well said can man! I used to hun

5. Peter Goodman

Peter Goodman Senior Refuge Member

I think if you cut Stump's post to the bone you pretty much get what dgp1717 said - learn to call first and worry about the call later. Understand I am a learner (apparently a slow learner, as have been defining myself this way for a couple of years...). True, one call will fit you better than another - I weigh a whopping 160lbs, and if I tried to call like Ronquist it would be symphony of squeak outs. A call that needs less air works better for my body and mouth size. That said, whatever I use to call ducks (or geese), if to use Stump's comments to me from a couple years ago, "sounds like you are blowing a kazoo", if that is my technique all I am going to do it scare birds. You can call ducks fine I think with a basic low cost call. And you don't need to do what I did initially and try to copy every call on the CD -never did get a decent Cajun squeal) - start with one cluck, then two clucks, etc. and build from there. As you gain skill you will then better appreciate better calls like Stump's, Committed Custom Calls, C&S, etc. But you don't need to start with the high end calls and be afraid to go hunting until you can do every call on the CD. Now am I saying buy a cheap call? Nope. If you can afford it and want to get a higher end call, all of the above have "pre-made" calls for more than reasonable prices, and you will probably save yourself some money moving up the scale from cheap to moderate to better calls. But the key is learning to call, on whatever you got.

6. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

You have to have some technique and be able to present air in a reasonable manner, but if a duck call is a duck call and there is no difference then why are there a 1000 duck calls on the market and every major call company having at least 3 or 4 up to 10 styles or models of duck calls. They all operate a little differently, take more air, less air, will run wet, will run dry, will squeal rattle and roll depending on the call. I am not a perfect duck caller by any means but with certain calls I can work ducks like a duck whisperer and other calls I am the duck scarer. I have one of Stumps calls I bought this year but is it my go to call, no as I get better results using another call. So, yes you have to have some technique and ability, but IMHO you may sound better and getter better results with Brand A call over Brand B call if you have some proficiency in being able to operate a duck call.

7. Peter Goodman

Peter Goodman Senior Refuge Member

I don't think I was suggesting no difference in duck calls, in fact I mentioned that my body and mouth size suggests that some designs work for me better than others. For example a cut down call for me is a joke. And depending on where you are hunting you may do better with one call than another. A big factor too is the confidence the caller has in the call and his ability with that call. I have seen many posts by members who have been using an old call that they or even their Dad used - you can't tell me that there haven't been technical innovations since, but if the call you are using is "yours", you will do a better job talking to the ducks than another where you are maybe so busy concentrating on technique that you forget to notice the lead hen cupping her wings a particular way. There are 1000 duck calls for a reason, because there are many more than a couple thousand of us choosing and using them. But back to Stump's point, you need to know how to use them right first. I would be willing to bet, reading the level of intelligence of any of the respondents to this string that most are at least better than average callers. My initial comment was oriented to those who might not be at that level yet. Who, and maybe I am wrong were maybe Stump's target audience too.

8. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

I would venture to say part (but not all) of this is simple marketing. Consider: If Big Pimpin' Call Company can sell you their single model, the "Mack Daddy," they make one "unit" of money from you. But if Big Pimpin' Call Company can sell you a "Mack Daddy," a "SwampMonsta," a "Nightmare on Oak Thicket," a "Ghostfaced Killa," and a "Menopausal Mamma," they just made 5 units of money. Foiles was a master of this back in the day, IMHO. ;)

freefall and DrakeStar like this.
  9. dgp1717

dgp1717 New Member

Calls are different, and sound different, for sure. But I do not believe that different calls can be blown properly with different types of air. I believe there is a correct way to blow a duck call, and if different duck calls are blown correctly, they will each produce distinctive, but ducky sounds. If two different calls are both blown incorrectly, they will both produce distinctive, but un-ducky sounds.

I will certainly admit that some calls are harder to blow than others--some take less air, and some need more pressure. But the air is still the same air, just presented differently into the call. I don't say it this way to make it sound easy--because it's not. Among other things, maintaining pressure and getting soft on a stiff call are incredibly hard things to do.

freefall likes this.
  10. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Well said sir

Stump