Food plots 2013

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by rdj.olympia, May 19, 2013.

1. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Well we put in two food plots this weekend and with a little rain in the forecast things could work out just great. This is especially rewarding since these two ponds had been chocked out with canary grass and one with purple loosestrife. The first year we leased the property we harvested 0 ducks and geese and we have done very well since and can't count how many birds and hunting days we have enjoyed since then. Just goes to show you what a little hard work will reward you with. The best part of this property is there is an access road that goes by each blind and we are able to get hunters with limited mobility a chance to go hunting. If you park too close to the blind you can't open the door. All they have to do is be able to take 2 steps down and they are in the blind. Hope you enjoy. Bob

This pond was planted with Golden millet and Biologic Waterfowl mix and top dressed with a little barnyard grass and smartweed.

[​IMG]
    This field was planted with Golden millet, Biologic Waterfowl mix and dwarf corn and top dressed with little barnyard grass and smartweed. We actually have 2 blinds on this pond.

[​IMG]

2. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Looking good. Keep us updated on how your Biologic mix looks through the summer. That is great that you are able to get those with limited mobility into your blinds.

3. rdj.olympia

Here are pics from one of our hunts. The gentleman on the end lost a lung to cancer and parks his quad right next to the blind and runs an oxegon line into the blind. Also a great blind to get kids out in. This was her first hunting trip with her uncle and had a blast shooting decoys during the slow times. Here are a couple of great pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Clayton

Looks like a heck of a good hunt!

5. illini36

illini36 Elite Refuge Member

Looks good. How deep do you try to maintain your water levels with that mix?

6. rdj.olympia

On the larger pond we can bring the water up slowly and the smaller pond it just goes up gradually. Here are some of the latest pictures and things are greening up nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Might even get the golf clubs out shortly.

7. Triple Oiler

Triple Oiler Senior Refuge Member

Looks good! Had some good success last year and did the same this year with red millet, white millet, buckwheat, and sudan in the lowest area of my duck lake and this year I added barley just above that on the high water line. Cant wait till the season now! Just add water and waterfowl! :tu

8. rdj.olympia

Red millet, white millet? Haven't heard about those. What type of luck have you had? Thanks Bob

9. Triple Oiler

Triple Oiler Senior Refuge Member

Plant it they will come. Dont need decoys.
    I went generic. Looked at ingredients of big name producers. Had first hand
    experience on big time hunting grounds, Sauvie Island.
    I could be talking out my arse, but this is how its been told to me. Not lookin to argue with anyone.
    When it gets cold ducks are burning alot of energy and are constantly looking for high energy food sources. That is what the millet provides them. Some of the birds I cleaned out were chuck a block full of millet seed.

TO

10. Clayton

Never heard of red millet before either. I am assuming white millet is also known as proso millet???? We use Japanese for wet ground and browntop for dry ground around here. Browntop handles drought much better.