Food plots 2013

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by rdj.olympia, May 19, 2013.

1. Triple Oiler

Triple Oiler Senior Refuge Member

Here is a couple of pics. Have four more too come.

Attached Files:

• 186.jpg
      186.jpg
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
    • 187.jpg
      187.jpg
      File size:
      49.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Triple Oiler

Four down(done), two to go!

Attached Files:

• 188.jpg
      188.jpg
      File size:
      50.6 KB
      Views:
    • 189.jpg
      189.jpg
      File size:
      50.4 KB
      Views:
  3. Triple Oiler

Few different pics from different angles.

Attached Files:

• 190.jpg
      190.jpg
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
    • 191.jpg
      191.jpg
      File size:
      49.2 KB
      Views:
  4. Triple Oiler

rdj. olympia, finally posted some pics of the duck lake. Hope you check um out! Sorry took so long. Been trying to get them up, but been fighting camera's.

Looks like you should be okay to fertilize. Usually right before I go to plant I spread the fertilizer, so that eliminates having to do it once the crop is up. That way it is in the root zone and is breaking down in time for the roots to find it.

5. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Nice Pics! I have crop envy :) Looks like pretty good ground, what type of crops do you have in? Always looking for ideas. Most everyone says you have to grow corn. We would have fertilized earlier but tractor problems. Thanks for the help.

6. Triple Oiler

I had a heck of a time getting those pics posted up, so sorry in advance. Bear with me!
    Okay, pics 186, 187, and 189 shows the millet/buckwheat mix with super sweet corn in the middle. Hard to see that the corn is about calf high(sorry workin on gettin rows hoed). Pics 188 and 190 shows the split between the mix and barley. In pics 186 above the barley shows some more corn that was just planted. In pic 191 above the barley you can see some corn that has been outta the ground for a couple of weeks. In between that corn is the wife/kids' garden.
    I'm just really blessed that I'm able to get to do this, and just try the best I can with what I have to work with. Appreciate the kind words.
    The ground floods yearly. Thats the reason for the millet/buckwheat mix is that I expect that to be under water for the most part. Trying to also get some geese to come in is the reason for the corn in the center of that. I had a corn maze for the kids 1 year there, and after I chopped it you couldnt even see the ground there was so many of those buggers. Went with an idea on the high water mark is where the barley (Honker Guide) is though its likely to be under water also. The corn above the barley for a buffer since its next to a roadway and to make our feathered friends a little more comfortable...
    Thats it pretty much trial and error, and see what works and adjust accordingly.:tu

7. jorgea

jorgea New Member

These "food plots" are looking very good. Keep us updated here at http://www.refugeforums.com

8. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Well things are looking good. Had about an inch of rain and heat on the way this weekend. Plants are filling in nicely. We had enough rain that we had water back in the ponds but it is going down again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Triple Oiler

Yes, looking good. We been fighting the rain ourselves down this way also. There was a day last week we got 3/4" in like a half hour to 45 mins. The corn in the middle has been flooded out like 3-4 different times now. Just been very lucky that none of it has died.

10. titleist_03

titleist_03 New Member

Looking great! We planted Golden Millet last year. What was left of a hurricane moved into Illinois a few weeks after planting and flooded it, but the great thing about it is it can handle a flood that's less than half it's height. We had places this year that were supposed to be in corn, but all the rain has prevented that. We're now going with all Golden Millet since it only takes 75 days to maturity. It's cheaper than corn anyways!