Food plots 2013

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by rdj.olympia, May 19, 2013.

1. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

So what kind of success did you have with the Golden millet last year? Any pictures? Also what type of carry over did you get this year? We are hoping to rotate the golden millet so we can plant half and mow the other half. Thanks for any help.

2. titleist_03

titleist_03 New Member

It was great! Second year regeneration was probably 60%. We were going to leave last year's plot be for this year, but now have to start from scratch thanks to a 5 inch rain last week and 10+ inches over a 2 week span.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. eriecutemoutfitter

eriecutemoutfitter Senior Refuge Member

Fellas the plots are looking really nice. I spy a slider and :tu what kind and what are you working on? I just picked up the Rhino Slider Pro a few months ago and am working on a small film now. http://www.rhinocameragear.com/DSLR Gear/Camera Sliders

4. rdj.olympia

Thanks for the feedback. I have been anxious to see how it does in the second year. If you can plant half of your area ever other year you can cut the cost of planting in half. You can also go in and brush hog half of the area every year for easy access for the birds. Can't wait to see how it works out. Thanks Again!

5. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

good stuff:tu

6. rdj.olympia

Well I am trying to take pictures of the crops from the same location. Here is a photo and they just got done putting up round bales and the crops are looking great. I tried to get some close ups but didn't do too good of job so will try again later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. eriecutemoutfitter

Looks like a real strong stand of duck food!!!

8. titleist_03

titleist_03 New Member

It's an Indie Slider Pro. Works great but just upgraded to a Konova K3 with a motor. We were filming an online show for The Management Advantage.

9. eriecutemoutfitter

Yeah I can't wait for Rhino to release there motor and app so I can get some better time lapses. Love that show BTW!

10. rdj.olympia

Well our crops are looking good other than the fact we could use a little more rain but probably a problem for everyone. Millets are starting to head out. I planted Mossy Oak Biologic in a couple of different spots and can't say that I am impressed. The golden millet looks great and the barnyard millet is doing well. Will try to get some close ups later.

[​IMG]

The most impressive part of this picture is the smartweed in the foreground(the pink plant). Should have some nice groceries for the ducks.

[​IMG]