Food plots 2013

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by rdj.olympia, May 19, 2013.

1. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

"Well our crops are looking good other than the fact we could use a little more rain but probably a problem for everyone."

Rain is the last thing we need around this part of the country!!!!!!!!!!!!!:doh Wish we could send some your way.

2. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Well here are the latest pictures for our crops this year. They are looking a little stressed due to lack of water but some are doing very well. It is supposed to rain over the next 3 days so might get lucky and get full heads of crop instead of hollow dry heads like we had last year. Role the dice if you can't irrigate.

[​IMG]

Here is what the golden millet looks like up close. About 5 ft tall and looking great!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of close ups. First one in our moist soil with smartweed & barnyard grass on the left and millet on the right.

[​IMG]

Millet & smartweed when you pull the plants apart and see what things are looking like inside the stand.

[​IMG]

3. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Nice variety of duck food there Hope you get the rain

4. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Looks excellent to me.

Don't forget to get us some pics when you put water on it.

5. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

Good looking stuff. I did golden grass several times but for the money i never could tell it produced anymore seed than old fashion jap millet. one yr we really got burnt and didnt get any germination on a bad batch of seed and the company that sold it to us blamed it on us so i stopped dealing with them and golden grass.

but it turned out great for you and you will be rewarded. nice work!!!!!!!! you have a very nice blend of foods!!!!:tu

6. Bgoodman3

Bgoodman3 Refuge Member

For you guys planting and letting it re-seed itself are you just leaving it fallow, or are you spraying, disking or burning?

7. rdj.olympia

Ok here is the lastest update on the golden millet. Sorry I didn't have a Budweiser to give you correct scale but figured a water bottle would help. Oh I was hoping for some rain and we got over an inch on 8/29. Could not have planned it any better if I tried.

[​IMG]

The best part of this is "build it and they will come" This is a picture of the wetland in 2011 prior to our first blind and before the battle with the canary grass and purple loosestrief. We had to turn over the wetland in the middle to get rid of the purple loosestrief and all the woody debris. Canary grass was sprayed and turned over. In 2010 there was no wetland as purple loosestrief had taken over. No ducks used the wetland at that time.

[​IMG]

Here is the same spot in 2013. Hard work does pay off and will post pictures of what it looks like when the ducks find it. This is the golden millet which has headed out and is about 6' tall.

[​IMG]

8. rdj.olympia

Well it has been a while so here is an update on the 2013 project. The water has arrived but the ducks are running late out in Washington. The birds that are around have found our ponds and things are shaping up nicely. The weather and hunting haven't come together at the same time but it has been nice the birds that are coming to the pond are coming straight in without circling. When we go out in the morning there are lots of birds on the ponds and one evening watched to see how many might be using the ponds. I saw anywhere from 75-100 birds before it got too dark to see. We are going to start hunting later in the morning to see if more will come back before dark. I will report how things go on that one. Below are the pictures of the ponds and when I have more time will give you an opinion on what grew the best and how I might do it next year. Bob

Not much open water right now as we have had a cold spell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. No-Tox

No-Tox Elite Refuge Member

Very nice!