food plots

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by pentail, Jul 28, 2001.

1. pentail

pentail Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

plan on putting out my fall plots this weekend. will plant a mix we sell at our seed store. It has some rape, wheat, austrian winter peas, and some soy beans. makes a pretty good fall plot just in time for bow season and holds up pretty well until first hard freezes

2. Scout

Scout Senior Refuge Member

For the first time, I tried to plant some "no till" clover this spring. Thought it might help the turkeys, and the whitetails during fawning, and antler growing. Unfortunately, it didn't grow worth a darn. It seems the weeds choked the life out of the clover, before it got a chance to really take off! Next time, i'll chose my location a little better.

3. arkhunter

arkhunter Senior Refuge Member

Thats probably a pretty good mix till it freezes as you mentioned.

You might trying mixing in some winter wheat and rye grass and it should work for you all winter.

4. pentail

pentail Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Arkhunter,
    instead of wheat or rye, I usually use a hybrid of the two named Tritical. designed as a forage, it stays in grass form without heading out much longer than either parent variety. Plus it has a little more protein. can get most of the winter out of it around here.

5. jamie

jamie Guest

I have tried the mixes before it seems that the deer use it alot early september to october. Then they stop. I have planted imperial clover in 2 spots the deer are burning it up. I have yet to hunt over it.
    (SUGGESTION) If you are going through the trouble to plant something I would plant something that helps year around & that lasts more than 1 season. It will help & save money in the long run.Clovers or Alfalfa