Ford Ecoboost?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by BDT, Mar 28, 2013.

1. BDT

BDT Senior Refuge Member

Hello all,

New truck shopping:z, looking at the Ford F150 Supercrew 4x4 Ecoboost and a GM 3/4 ton crew 4x4. With the GM discount looks like the price for them are about equal. Anyone have any feedback for me on the Ecoboost engines? I'm worried about long term durability for one thing. I use my truck mostly for driving to work and a family vehicle but I have a small farm and do have an occasionally need for heavy towing and getting off road. Last 2 trucks (95 S-10 and a 05 Sivarado ext cab 1/2 ton) were Chevy and I have to admit was disappointed in quality. Both had major issues at 60K miles and a lot of warranty work before that. Had a Ford minivan that we really liked but never owned a F150. Test drove the F-150 have not test drove the GM yet. Any feedback on either truck is greatly appreciated.:) I want to keep my next Hunting, Fishing and Farming machine for at least 10 years:tu.

Thanks,

2. Nelliboy2

Nelliboy2 Elite Refuge Member

I can't help you with ecoboost but my sister and quite a few of my friends have 2007-2012 f150 with the 5.4. They all really like them, and the have a great ride. I had one of the tow my 4k pound fishing boat. Did quite well except for mileage. The 2010 is getting the best mpg sitting close to 20 highway. We looked at the eco boost when purchasing but our dealer ship said that it is a dog with a load???? Idk how true it was but for 2 miles difference we just went with the V8. I will say they do quite well in snow.

I will agree with you on Chevy my mom had one along with a few others, I thought the quality was horrible honestly. Many of the have switched to the F150 version.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

The 6.2 liter has been good for me so far. I have 2011 F 250 and haven't had a problem yet with it, power is good for that big a truck so should be great for an F 150.
    I shopped around for almost a year before I bought the Ford, Have owned six Chevy trucks and this is my first Ford.
    Compared this to the 2500 HD and it just seems to be built heavier...plus the fact that I couldn't find a GM dealer out there that would deal well on any of their trucks. Ford at least acted like they wanted to sell me something and they did....:l

4. BUCKSHOT#4

BUCKSHOT#4 Elite Refuge Member

I have an 06 F150, but if I were in the market to buy another truck it would be the Ecoboost. I have ridden in a few and have friends that own them. I really like them and have heard a load of good things about them. I have heard a lot more good than bad. Good luck in your search.......:tu

5. fetchjake

fetchjake Elite Refuge Member

just bought a 13' F150 Super Crew but didn't go with the ecoboost. We walked into the dealership thinking that was the engine we wanted, but in talking to the sales guy, he said that unless your going to be towing on a routine basis (if I remember right, I think he said 11k lbs), then it may not be worth the extra $$. For me, towing isn't a big deal, maybe a snowmobile or 4 wheeler on occasion, but nothing really heavy. With that said, we talked about the eco for a while and he only had great things to say about the engine and the ability to tow. A buddy works construction and their company bought all eco's and he said that everyone loves them. I'm only a month into driving my truck now, but absolutely love it. Gas mileage is the only thing I would nitpick on but I don't think you buy a truck for gas mileage. If I baby it on the hwy, I'll pull close to 19.

6. BDT

BDT Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Guys,

I spoke to my neighbor who is a mechanic about the Eco boost. He said so far so good. He had a friend who has one who hauled a big boat back from the east coast and ave 18 mi/gal. When not towing getting over 20mi/gal. We drove all over town last weekend looking to drive the Chevy 3/4 ton that we are interested in and no one had it in. Not even on the used lots.

7. justinduckman7

justinduckman7 Senior Refuge Member

I had a 03 f150 supercrew and it did ok as far a gas 14mpg but it had cooper STT tires on it. I traded it for a f350 cause i got a good deal. My dad has 09 chevy 2500hd crew cab z71 and its a damn good truck and he pulls 15.7 mpg consistantly

8. madhatr02

madhatr02 Senior Refuge Member

If I wasn't in love with my 6.7 I would have an Ecoboost in a heartbeat. I sold them and know many a person with them. Seems on this new round of engines (6.7 & Eco) Ford got it right. For now Ford seems to be on the leading edge. The 5.0 that is the other option ain't bad either if you are looking at cost.

TURBO POWER!!!!

9. burns_312

burns_312 Banned

Got a 2013 5.0 at the end of last year and have nothing but excellent things to say about it. I can run about 18-19 on the highway at 80 MPH. Just wasn't quite sold on the Eco since it's so new. Future turbo issues made my shy away a bit. I'm sure it's an excellent rig, but I just felt more comfortable with the 5.0. I had a 2010 prior to the 2013 and I loved it as well.

10. birdhntr

birdhntr Senior Refuge Member

I am looking at getting the same truck. I have a 2001 F250 with the 7.3 in it. It's the best truck I've ever owned but need to get something new as a day to day driver since I don't have a company rig anymore for that purpose. I've only heard great things about the 3.5 Eco from a couple of people I know who have them. I am going to stick with the 3.55 gears I would rather have the gas mileage than the tow capacity with the 3.73's.